returning to card models where to get paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

budding author

greetings
I am returning to card modeling after many years of plastic kits one question where can I buy paper and what wieght is best? alright 2 questions

please help
budding author

PaperAir

Welcome amd I use 20 lb for very small parts 60 lb for general card modeling and 110 lb for large and structure parts.I don,t know where you live but you can bet most of your card modeling supplies at Walmart or Staples.Hope this was helpful and again welcome and looking forward to your posts.

Z

Zathros

If you live in the U.S, Staples or Walmart has cardstock. I use mainly 67 lb. cardstock and 110 lb. cardstock. Some people use very thin stock for figurines, especially the hands. I also occasionally use very thick almost 1 mm cardboard for frames of ships. I get this from Michael's Craft stores. They aren't allowed to sell the left over paper from their picture framing service, but they hand it out freely, especially if you show them what you use it for. I have received many pounds of paper, picking up some UHU Brand glue. I showed them a ship, "Lilla Weneda" that I assembled, I doubled up the size, making it around 26 inches long. The manager was so impressed he gave me almost 5 lbs. of matte board of all kinds. Some pieces were rather large. Glad to see you back into the hobby. It is very satisfying to make something out of paper that rival or bests, in my opinion, many plastic models. Welcome to the forum, by the way!

howtogurus

I agree with above, except that I tend to favor the heavier weights of paper. My big problem is that I can't find a good Bright White card stock, everything has a slight yellow or grey tint, makes the colors a bit dull. I would love to find a good card stock in really bright white.

I get my paper at Office Depot, but Staples is also good.

Z

Zathros

I just got a 250 page pack of 110 lb. from Staples, last week. It Was the "Staples" house Brand, this is some of the brightest paper I have ever seen. Brighter than most "name" brand papers.

S

Soaring

It's pricey - especially when you compare the price to amount, but Canon Matte photo paper yields some very nice results.

Z

Zathros

Canon Matte paper is really nice but i have not seen that in any thickness in could use. I have used it when I am laminating onto heavier card stock though. It is extremely bright.

Ingchao

Thanks for pointing me toward Michael's, there's one not too far from me and I'm itching for something to use those weekly 40% off coupons!!!

Z

Zathros

Thanks for pointing me toward Michael's, there's one not too far from me and I'm itching for something to use those weekly 40% off coupons!!!

Big secret about Michael's. They are not allowed to sell any of their trimmings from their picture framing business. I brought in a model of a ship, Lilla Weneda (I doubled the size, 28 inches Long), and asked if they hard any of the picture frame stuff they could sell me, I told them I would be willing to buy it. They said I had to speak to the manager, who came out, saw my model and went into the back room and came out with almost 10 lbs. of the most incredible piece of high quality, acid free card, most about 1 mm thick and handed it to me free! He asked if I could show him some more models. A month later, I brought him a Bi-Plane I had made, and he gave me another 10 lbs. of paper. He told me he was not allowed to sell it and always felt guilty throwing it away!

Always offer to buy the stuff, even at 10$ dollars it would have been a steal. The biggest piece was 2' x 1.5', and the smallest was am 8" x 8" inch square. Most sizes were all in between. Always be kind, have a model in hand to show them what you are doing. I ended up making a CD full of models that are readily available. He said he probably would never build any, but later told me he was amazed and was now considering making one.

RickTNRebel

I find it difficult to throw paper away now! I'm probably creating some sort of FIRE HAZARD here in my apartment with all of the paper I hoard (please don't tell on me)! I have found uses for everything...cigarette rolling paper thickness up to 3 ply corrugated! Coffee filters too have some great uses; think of that type of paper as miniature fiberglass mat ready for a resin! To save money on ink cartridges, I buy colored card stock and bristol board, ususally in 20 piece packs, the color goes all of the way thru so edge touch-up is reduced. You'll become a "paper collector" too...it happens to all of us!

SEBRET

I find it difficult to throw paper away now! I'm probably creating some sort of FIRE HAZARD here in my apartment with all of the paper I hoard (please don't tell on me)! I have found uses for everything...cigarette rolling paper thickness up to 3 ply corrugated! Coffee filters too have some great uses; think of that type of paper as miniature fiberglass mat ready for a resin! To save money on ink cartridges, I buy colored card stock and bristol board, ususally in 20 piece packs, the color goes all of the way thru so edge touch-up is reduced. You'll become a "paper collector" too...it happens to all of us!

Amen

modeling has turned me into a terrible hoarder, lol. I collect everything from paper to foil to little trinkets and more. I'm big on mixed media so i can find a use for anything. I had a mountain dew can in the pile one time. I almost laughed at myself, but i ended up justifying it when i used it to create a hollographic-ish viewfinder in a gundam rifle. Anything can be used!

Status
Not open for further replies.