Return to N Scale

eburchell

Sep 6, 2007
Hey guys. It feels good to acually be back into the RR hobby again. It was getting rather frustrating not having the space for my layout with all the moving, and the lengthly home in an apartment. But now, the Canadian Eastern has a permanant home. I already have the track laid, backdrops up, only a few are painted so far though, some scenery in place especially around Robin's Landing (I finally can dedicate some real estate to my mentor and the cereal king himself). Here are just a couple of quick pics to keep you drooling for a while.
IM000090a.jpg

IM000084a-1.jpg

IM000080a.jpg

That's it for now, will begin to take more pics once I get more work done. It sure feels good to be back here at The Gauge after being away for so long.

Ed Burchell

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Wow - looks really great so far! I like the backdrop and how it fades away. Very nice rocks in the foreground too. Sharp looking SP unit - I've always liked the speed lettering.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Ed,

Welcome to the Gauge, or Zealot forums. I see where you were having problems posting, and tried to post this about five times. We have a little anti-spam thing here that if you try to post an attachment with your first message, it will be moderated, or put in a queue until a staff member looks at it and makes sure it is not spam, or something else that we don't want posted. That is why your post didn't show up right away, but you should have gotten a message to that affect.

BTW, nice work.:thumb: :thumb: I'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing more of your stuff...

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Excellent start Ed. One can quickly see that you are not a complete newbie, but a modeler who makes a comeback after some time of retirement.
Could you give a little more details about your layout ? what size is it ? do you have a plan or a rough sketch of it ?

Jacques

eburchell

Sep 6, 2007
The Canadian Eastern is a fictional interchange shortline between the CN to the east and the CP to the west. The Western Valley RR's main head office had relocated to the east some time ago, but financial situations prevented the company from doing anything more then buying used locomotives to one day be prosperous again. CN and CP both didn't think this trackage between it's two interchanges was profitable enough to hire extra switching crews and such, so a contract was negotiated between the two railroad giants and the CEO of the WVRR, creating the new Canadian Eastern, thus allowing the WVRR crews to take over control of the trackage.

The layout itself is a point to point shelf layout, measuring 8 feet wide and 6 feet deep, and forming a weird shaped U. Switch crews wait at either end till there is enough rolling stock dropped off by the CP and CN to make up a 4 car train to switch along the way. Those same crews pick up revenue bound for the opposite interchange and those are set out on the interchange track. Once those duties are done, the crew waits at the opposite interchange for their return train back to the interchange they started from. A total of four trains actually travel across the tracks in any given day and sometimes an extra train in either direction is needed because of the 4 car train limit. I'll try to draw up a rough sketch today and get some pics to show you the entire layout by this afternoon.