retail coal building

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
This building was scratchbuilt of balsa in 1959. Between the time I scetched and guestimated the dimensions, and started building the model, the prototype was torn down. Hopper loads of coal were dumped at the foot of the conveyor at the end of the building, which was little more than one big coal bin. Delivery trucks would pull in under the "bin", and chutes inside, would load the trucks for delivery to the customer's homes. This is one of the very few items that have survived the years and the moves.
Pete

Attachments

• coaltwr1.jpg
    coaltwr1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 173

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Now this one must have served at a division yard but looks like it hasn't been used for many years so hopefully it will be considered as a heritage building instead of being scrapped like so many railways did.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Matthyro,
Actually, this building was a private business, served by the railroad ( the Long Island ) . It was on the north side of the tracks in Lindenhurst, N.Y., and I believe, East of Wellwood Ave.

Alkcnw,
At the time I modeled this building, it had gone out of use, as most of the residences had converted to oil, or gas fired furnaces.
It was pretty much in the condition modeled, and was gone before the model was done.