Resizing/rescaling jpeg models

weft1630

Oct 30, 2009
Hello. Using WinZip I have no problem resizing pdf models. What techniques do forum members use to rescale jpeg kits? Thank you, Morris.

Wojtee

Jun 8, 2008
Prague, CZ
Are you confusing rescale as a change of resolution and compression as a change of filesize?
You can not compress JPG files as much, because the data is already pretty much compressed. You can downscale the DPI resolution or the resolution of the picture, making it smaller size, but you lose image quality (which you actually lose when you start working with JPGs). You can use almost any image viewer, it is even possible online.
When compressing PDF files, the results will vary according to what is inside the PDF. I think vector drawing will shrink fairly well, not so much pictures...

weft1630

Oct 30, 2009
Hello, Wojtee. Your computer knowledge much superior to mine, so I don't fully understand what you're saying. But do now recognize I failed to state my question clearly. A PDF model designed to print out at, say, 1:250 scale I can resize/rescale to print out on paper at, say, 1:144 scale. But if the model's published in JPG I don't know how to print the parts in a different scale. Morris.

Wojtee

Jun 8, 2008
Prague, CZ
My answer was not that clear, anyway ;)
What you need is a image viewer, which lets you set scale before printing. I use Xnview, but it should be fairly similar in any other.
First, you need to set the ratio. You have 1:250, you want to print 1:144. 250/144=1,736.
Then you need to enlarge the image 1,736 times or to 173,6%. If the image was meant to be printed on A4 paper, you will have to use larger format or print it more times from different corners :) (173,6% is even larger than A4 to A3)
You can either enlarge the image in your image viewer (somewhere like Image/Size) and then print without fitting to page, or set the larger ratio in the Print Dialogue.

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Upscaling

Hi,

Using percentage (%) simplifies matters a great deal, I think.
For example; if you want to upscale from size A4 to A3, the percentage for printing an A4 size model sheet to A3 is 141%.

Bengt :thumb:

weft1630

Oct 30, 2009
Thank you! Will download Xnview. Amazing how much free stuff there is out there I didn't (will never) know about.