repowering a steam loco

Edavillenut

Aug 4, 2002
pepperell, ma
www.lighthousehobbies.com
i know that the locos i want to repower arent worth the time but i like them and the were the first locos i got. they are Tyco 2-8-0 and 0-8-0 tender drive. i want to know if anyone has repowered them and what i would use. i need a motor that can hander DCC so it would have to be a five pole i think. any help would be great.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
edavillenut,
I have the remains of a couple of those 2-8-0, that I got at the "used, and abused" shelf at the hobby shop. I thought I could use the drivers for something.
I don't know of any motor that will replace the one in the tender. If I were going to "repower", I'd get rid of the tender,get a Northwest Short Line gearbox for one of the drivers, and a can motor, and power the loco. Rebuild the tender with a new frame, and new trucks with electrical pickup.
If they run at all, I'd just try to improve the electrical pick up. The other possibity, would be to remove the drive,new frame,and trucks for the tender, and use them as (dummy)helpers on the back end, with a powered unit at the head end.
I understand that you would want to keep them around, being the first. I still have my Varney 0-4-0. It doesn't run any more, but I can't part with it.
Pete

C

Catt

Get a Bachmann centercab,pitch the shell and make yourself some mounting brackets.The new drives are single motored and DCC friendly.You can use the TYCO tender shell or do like I did and get a MDC Roundhouse oil tender for the shell.

Edavillenut

Aug 4, 2002
pepperell, ma
www.lighthousehobbies.com
today i have been ripping apart every loco i have to see how i can repower my tyco and i think i know how. i am going to keep it tender drive but i am going to use trucks from a diesel probely N scale have to buy them first and hope they work and the put a motor with fly wheels and connect the motor to the trucks with a drive shaft.

the thing i want to know is dose any one know where i can get trucks like what i want and are the the same length as a ho scale freight truck. i know they wont look right but i am just trying to see if it works and then i will make them look good.

any comments would be great