[report] Junkers Ju 88C-6 (Military Model, 3-4/2003)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Swinger, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

It's all in the details, and, my Dear Sir, you have mastered the details! :D

You must know how very thankful a lot of us are that you have taken the time to explain how you make such wonderful models, and we all appreciate your explanation of the tips and techniques used in doing so.

By all means please do continue in the lesson...your students are all
    ears!! :)

2. Swinger

Swinger Member

Thank you guys. I want to say that most of these tips & tricks come from kartonwork and konradus boards... Only some of them are my invention.

After three days spent on thinking, trying and testing, I've done the most difficult part of MG 17s. Here they are (almost finished, I'll make the rest tomorrow). In a couple of minutes I'll write how I've made them. Of course there are 7 guns on the photo, but I'm going to use only 3 of them. The rest have been made as a training.

Guns... Lots of guns... ;)
  3. Swinger

Swinger Member

First problem: tools. I was using a ruler, a hammer and a special hole-making device made of linked pins with filed endings. They have been linked with epoxide (?).

I haven't used original parts to make MGs' barrels. I've scanned them, changed a bit and printed in many copies. You can see both versions on the photo.

More to come in a minute.
  4. Swinger

Swinger Member

Then, I glued the unrolled barrel to the table (TV magazine in fact :D ). The red marking shows the place with glue underneath. It was necessary to prevent the part from any movement.

To make the holes straight in a row, I used the ruler. Then I took a hammer and was striking my holemaker. It makes four holes per a hit, but after the first hit, I was putting one of the pins into one of the holes from the previous hit to save the proper distance.

Wait for the next message, please.
  5. Swinger

Swinger Member

Then I had to paint the part. I used a black marker. It is Pentel NN50 - really good, because it doesn't fade after a few months.

The next thing to do was to glue the wire (from a paper clip) stiffening the barrel. I used butapren glue, for it catches metal parts too.

When the glue strenghtened, I could roll the barrel (on the table, as shown on the photo - it is important not to do it in one's fingers). To make it stay rolled, I used Brand Clear Glue. Well, one more thing - I didn't roll the whole barrel at once. Firstly, I rolled only with glue in position 1 (red), than 2 (green) and so on. Otherwise it didn't look good.

And that's all. :) That wasn't easy... But nothing is. :)

Good fight, good night. :D
  6. barry

barry Active Member

incredible, you almost make it sound reasonable.

7. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Swinger

A true master at work, fantastic.

Looking forward to your next instruction lesson

8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

What an excellent series of illustrative photos, Swinger! :D
    That is a nice parcel of tips and techniques you have shared with us, for which I thank you so very much.
    I might even be so bold as to suggest that now even I could stumble through barrel rolling, although to be sure it would not come out as neatly as yours.
  9. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

That "sickening thud" is the sound of my Flabber being Gasted!
  10. Swinger

Swinger Member

Oh come on, I'm not a master. It's just a matter of trying and being patient.

By the way, in the morning I decided to make another gun (I didn't like one of the chosen three) and it took me less than half an hour. Much, much less than thinking how to produce these guns! :D

Eventually, the guns are ready!
  11. Swinger

Swinger Member

The left panel. The levers' knobs are made of some cable's insulator.
  12. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Swinger

I see what you mean about the way you paint the parts before you put them together, it would be almost impossible to do with the detail you have on this and the size. The thing I'am working on is a monster with loads of room to move about her.

OUTSTANDING is all i can say :shock:

Always look forward to your posts.

13. mark

mark Member

grat job grat bild just looks killer

thanks for the guns tip
  14. Gil

Gil Active Member

Das ist ein schone bild..., nice use of multimedia to great effect. Keep up the great work as all of us are storing up a teasure house of techniques from your work.

Best regards, Gil
  15. Swinger

Swinger Member

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad you like my work and enjoy reading and watching this topic. :)

But's let get to the point. This is the finished left side of the cockpit. The girders and ribs (or sth) should be placed in a bit different way (as I could see on the photos), but the designer did it like that... And I didn't want any lines drawn or painted in strange places, so I've added these elements in the places where they had been drawn. I want to make this model in "standard" rules, so I cannot change too much. I'm only adding some elements which have been just drawn on the other parts. However, although the transparent circle was designed as coloured, I've changed it (according to the most of the photos I've got, it should be transparent), because it didn't cause any problems.
  16. jrts

jrts Active Member

You just have to keep comeing back to look at this all the time, as each time I look I see more detail I missed the first time round there's that much detail to look at :shock:

Again outstanding.

look forward to your next post

17. mark

mark Member

can i ask u the some one thet asking the guy thet bilding the pbu

how u cut thes perfect the fislegs and the parts
  18. Swinger

Swinger Member

straight cuts -> a metal ruler + a sharp knife (it's like drawing a straight line with a pen :) )

rounded lines -> scissors, and if the circle is very small, I stab the card a lot of times until it's cut (look here)
  19. mark

mark Member

can u pic the tools thet u use to cut

ass i see its only the knif
  20. Swinger

Swinger Member

Here you are.