[report] Junkers Ju 88C-6 (Military Model, 3-4/2003)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Swinger, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

How was the texture created?

Best regards, Gil
  2. Swinger

Swinger Member

Well, I've painted only the edges and some added or replaced parts - you can see on the photos - if the part has got this "texture", it is printed. If the colour is solid, it is my painting. One more thing about the edges - to make them smoother, it is good to put on them some (more or less, it depends on the case) glue. I don't know what's the name of such glues in the other countries, but it is white, water-based and normally is used to glueing wood. Then, just paint the edge.

The texture is printed. In fact it is not any texture, but a technique of mixing the colours (dictionary says: screen printing :) ). All the parts have got it. In fact it is hardly visible, and on the pics the effect is caused by a very strong magnification.

As for the buckles, it is just "silver" wire shaped with tweezers. The belts are made of alluminium foil (it can be shaped much easier than paper).
  3. barry

barry Active Member

Now I've got my jaw off the floor it's brilliant.

I think you mean PVA glue and if my memory is correct the patterns are "bendays".

4. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Was the glue used, then, for the perimeter of the seat, or the straight raised lines I see? What a great tip!

Outstanding model - pictures like those I can stare at forever.

5. Swinger

Swinger Member

Er... Which lines are "straight raised"? :)

The glue was used for all the edges where there were two layers of paper or paper and wire. The glue gets into the slit between the layers and thanks to it the slit is invisible - you cannot say whether there is only one or eg. three layers of paper. :)

When I'll be building the second seat, I'll show you how it was done.
  6. Swinger

Swinger Member

And this is the second seat. In a moment I'll show you how the edges were made.
  7. Swinger

Swinger Member

Picture 1. I'm colouring the parts' edges.

Picture 2. The assembled seat.

Picture 3. Putting the glue on the edges. In such a small amounts the glue dries very quickly, so I use it mixed with some water. Later the edges have been coloured again (because the glue isn't matt).
  8. Bikerpete

Bikerpete Member

White PVA glue can be colored with acrylic craft paints. This work really well on dark items like tires. An added benefit is that it thins out the white glue just enough so that it is easy to brush.

9. bwallaw

bwallaw Member

Hello Swinger

That is a very detailed tutorial.
    I have already employed this tip to fill in some gaps on my Schloss and paint them. Works perfectly.

10. Swinger

Swinger Member

Bugbrains, not only acrylic. :) This glue can be mixed with every water-based paint.

Now something for those who intend to build this model. The assembly pictures for the second seat include a mistake. Look at the photo. I mean the back of the seat. It should be rounded. I've checked in the reference, and the prototype-model shown here has got rounded back too. The arrows on the photo show these places. Luckily, I managed to form the back of my seat and now it is rounded too, as you can see on the pic.
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Coloring the glue is one beatiful idea! Will need to mix up with the appropriate color on the next model.

Best regards, Gil
  12. Swinger

Swinger Member

Yup. :) In my Fokker I've used blackened PVA to make the cockpit's binding. Looks really fine.
  13. Swinger

Swinger Member

This is an MG 151 20mm gun.
  14. mark

mark Member

15. Swinger

Swinger Member

Almost. :) Only the barrel and the small parts shown on the photo are made of other materials. The barrel is made of an injection needle.
  16. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Swinger, that is amazing work! :D
    Knowing how hard it was in my own meager way to add details to the guns on my Mexico Victory I particularly appreciate what you have accomplished, not just with the gun but the earlier detail work on the gauges...truly outstanding work!
  17. mark

mark Member

can u pleas warit us a instraction how make this butfall guns??
  18. Swinger

Swinger Member

Sure I can. But now I can only tell you how I've made this one. When I'll be making MG 17 guns, I'll take some pics during the work.

To the point.

I've distinguished 3 sections in this gun.

1st is just a coloured medical needle.

2nd is a strip of ordinary paper (mean not card) rolled on this needle. I put the glue on the beginning of the strip (Butapren = sort of chlorine-caoutchouc (?) glue) and on the end (but here comes Brand Clear Glue - ordinary Chinese glue for paper). I'll show it step by step in the forthcoming guns.

3rd is several boxes glued together. Nothing special, but they were made using the same technique as the radio devices (not folding, but cutting the boxes into separate parts and glueing them together).

Well, have a look at the photos. Should you have further questions, feel free to ask. I'm not sure if my explanation is clear enough. Later I'll be taking more pics during the work.
  19. mark

mark Member

u just make exelent work kip do it

i will wait for the next guns reviwe to lorn how u make them
  20. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Dam! You are one terrific modeler.

Jim Nunn