[report] Fokker E.III (Kartonowy Swiat 1/04)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Swinger, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Swinger

Swinger Member

Well, as some of you probably have noticed, the full report of the Fokker's building is at Kartonwork board. Here I'll put some kind of a summary of what I've done until now. More photos you can see at Kartonwork.

The model has been published by Answer in Kartonowy Swiat (Cardworld :) ) series. It's been designed by Marek Pacynski in 1:50 scale.

I've started from the engine. It's made of small and smaller ;) discs of paper (except from the pushrods, made of copper wire). As for now, it's made of 392 parts :twisted: (and there will be more - I haven't added the sparkplugs and cables yet). Of course the original engine isn't as complicated as this one.
  2. Swinger

Swinger Member

The interior. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask.
  3. Swinger

Swinger Member

The cowling (?) is made of a cover taken from a yoghurt. :) Some of such covers (after rolling them out) have got that specific pattern, very similar to the pattern on the Fokkers' cowlings...

The binding of the cockpit's edges is made partly of paper and partly of a mixture of Pattex glue, water and black ink (in this rounded part).

The, errr, indicators? metres? (how should they be called?) on the switchboard are made of tin taken from a beer-can (I mean, the bindings are made of it). Inside I've put a drop of varnish. It immitates glass. The indicators without bindings (those which are concaved) have their glasses made of foil.

That's all for now. Unfortunately, I cannot build the model now, because I've got an exam session at my university. I'm going to start the work after June 15th.
  4. barry

barry Active Member

beatiful model

English is like polish it depends on context

indicators is fine (airspeed indicator)
    instuments (instrument panel)
    the chrome bits are bezels
    if it is a measuring device ie Amps it can be called a meter

Good luck in the exams

5. Swinger

Swinger Member

Thank you for the explanation, Barry! :) Unfortunately I'm not too good in this "technical" English.
  6. barry

barry Active Member

Your English is a damn sight better than my polish

ps cowling is right too !!
  7. Ajax

Ajax Member

Beautiful craftsmanship, Lukasz! :D The detailing you've added looks great, and it looks like you've added everything -- right down to the pilot's safetybelt and the control wires!

8. Swinger

Swinger Member

Barry - but unless you live in Poland, Polish is useful only for the card modelers, isn't it? ;-)

As for the wires, in the original there were some more, but I gave up... I'm not a complete maniac... yet! ;-)
  9. Swinger

Swinger Member

Well, it's impossible to study all the time. :)
  10. Swinger

Swinger Member

Nice relaxing work.
  11. barry

barry Active Member

well I'm impressed mate!

what was that about a few wires and a medical condition?

a little relaxation works wonders

12. Swinger

Swinger Member

I meant the control wires. :) In the original aircraft there were more of them than in my model... Anyway, I think that in the next model I'll try to put as many control wires, as in the real machine. :) So... It isn't a normal way of thinking. :twisted: Yessssss, I'm going crazy. ;-)
  13. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Going??!! Already there, I reckon. Along with the rest of us. Don't worry, you are among friends!!

Tim P
  14. Horus

Horus Member

Hi Swinger,
    That is a fantastic EIII you are building. How did you get the texture on the cockpit floor? Is it printed or is it a special trick? I'm especially impressed with the stitching on the fuselage underside.
    Good luck with the remainder of your exams,

Health and Happiness,

15. barry

barry Active Member

cockpit floor

Looks suspiciously like it's cut from a fly swatter :lol:

16. Swinger

Swinger Member

Well, this pattern is as it has been printed... It looks so because of a huge magnification. In fact there shouldn't been any pattern... It is something that my dictionary calls "screen" printing (or screen press?). Well, this model is really small (the diameter of the coin shown above is 1.5 cm).

As for the wings... They have only one girder, so I suggest adding at least one rib (near the fuselage). I didn't do it and had some problems. Also, the wings' edges clinged to the fuselage are straight. This is the designer's mistake, because the fuselage is going thinner behind the cockpit... So, the wings should be a bit longer (or maybe wider :) ) in their aft (?) part. Of course the difference is about 0.5 mm, but I didn't want to have any slits, so I've cut the wings properly. :D
  17. Swinger

Swinger Member

18. Ajax

Ajax Member

Wow! :shock:

The plane is looking superb, Lukasz! You did a great job getting the wings to fit; one would never suspect there'd ever been a problem.

19. Swinger

Swinger Member

I'm afraid this can be wrong anyway. ;) Yesterday night I discussed this thing with the designer and he said that in fact the slit should be there on the whole width of the wing and the wing should be fixed on two girders only! When I was doing it my way, I was basing on some museum photos, where there weren't any slits - so or that museum aircraft was constructed wrongly, or the wings were being fixed in a different way depending on a single case... :) Also, the shape of the wings was drawn on the fuselage and this also made me think the wings should adhere... Anyway, if there should be a slit, then the rib would be really essential, because the wing wouldn't be glued to the fuselage.
  20. Swinger

Swinger Member

Back to the front!

The model is almost finished. Recent days have been very hard for me, because I had little time, and I had to finish the model to let it go to the championships in Warsaw. So... it lacks a few small elements and needs some corrections... I didn't have time to take proper photos, too. I'll take better ones after having finished the model in 100%.

OK, let's get back to the mg production. The method is almost the same as in Ju 88.

The next photo shows the propeller covered with PVA to make it glossy.

The landing gear is made of wooden sticks and (mainly) wire.

Next pics in a while.