"Reply to post" Spammers

msowsun

Nov 1, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
I just started getting "Reply to post" spam. I always got these notifications when someone replied to a post that I had made. That is because I had selected "Instant Email Notification". But now I get Spam pretending to be a reply to the post, even when there has been no reply.

What's happening?

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
We've been getting spam that is replying to different threads.. if you are subscribed to a thread, the spam will show up as a reply.. Then by the time you get to the thread, one of the mods probably deleted the spam, so there is no "reply" t go to :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
msowsun said:
I just started getting "Reply to post" spam. I always got these notifications when someone replied to a post that I had made. That is because I had selected "Instant Email Notification". But now I get Spam pretending to be a reply to the post, even when there has been no reply.

What's happening?
What Mikey said. Spammers have become very resourceful and think that because they tack their garbage on the end of an existing thread, it won't be noticed by the staff here. Well, we find them, but we also need everyone else's help. Sometimes we catch them in the act of posting, sometime it's a few hours before we know about it. So if you see a post like that, click on the red "report this post" triange in the lower left of the post and we will be notified by email. However long it takes to remove the post, we implore you not to respond, just ignore it and give us time to get rid of it.

These spammers have been exceptionally busy these past few months. We've been getting rid of them at the rate of about ten a day.

Thanks,

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
ezdays said:
These spammers have been exceptionally busy these past few months. We've been getting rid of them at the rate of about ten a day.

Thanks,
They might settle down a bit if we could hunt them for their pelts..... :mad:

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Cannonball said:

ROFLMAO!! sign1

The other thing to do is disable the "e-mail notification" for the time being, which takes away their tag-ons.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Cannonball said:
The problem there is that they will probably have short, stubby hair and they'll smell so bad no one would buy them from us if we did bag a few.:D

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
ezdays said:
The problem there is that they will probably have short, stubby hair and they'll smell so bad no one would buy them from us if we did bag a few.:D
Well, we sure as heck can't use them for the meat then! :rolleyes:
:D