Replacing Trucks et al

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by rockislandmike, Nov 28, 2002.

  1. rockislandmike

    rockislandmike Active Member

    I have some older cars that I'd like to replace the trucks/wheelsets on - they're the old-style push-in trucks, as opposed to the screw-in type that are one better quality new puppies.

    The problem is that the hole in the underframe is too big when I take the trucks out. What should I put in there so I can tap a hole for the screw with the new truck ?????
  2. jmarksbery

    jmarksbery Active Member

    I would think a styrene rod would do well, glue it in and redrill, should do a few cars also!:rolleyes:
  3. Roger Hensley

    Roger Hensley Member

    I have used left over sprue from plastic models to fill the holes. Glue in place and cut and file to level, then drill and tap.

    Hope this helps.
  4. sumpter250

    sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

    At one time I used to get a lot of that kind of car at the "used and abused" shelf at the LHS. I used Evergreen tubing, in several sizes. Starting with the size that would accept a 2-56 screw, and "telescoping" up to the size of the hole.

Share This Page