Replacing couplerls "N" Scale Rolling Stock

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by majordadsage, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. majordadsage

    majordadsage New Member

    I am new to "N" scale. I have some American Flyer that are put away for safe keeping. I went to a train show and bought some rolling stock. I realized that when I got home there were at least two different styles of couplers on the cars.

    Is there a preferred coupler and how difficult are they to change?

    If you could please direct me to a good N scale supplier (I know there are many on the web) that you can personally recommend, I would appreciate the help.


  2. Will_annand

    Will_annand Active Member

    Hi John.

    While I am just getting back into N Scale, less than a year and only about 8' of working track on my layout right now. Also I only have about 10-12 pieces of rolling stock (2 Bachman train starter sets my parents bought me for my 50th birthday last may). I belong to the Muskoka Model Railroad Club.

    Most of the N Scale guys at the club use the MT couplers for N. They say they are the Kadee of N Scale.
  3. Blake

    Blake Member

    Micro Trains makes couplers and trucks. The fastest way to do this is to purchase their trucks with the couplers mounted to them. They come in a variety of styles and 3 differents coupler lengths. For most cars use the ones with the short couplers. Remove the pin that holds the truck onto the car, place the new truck on and replace the pin. That's it.
  4. majordadsage

    majordadsage New Member

    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It looks like Micro Trains is the way to go.

  5. ezdays

    ezdays Out AZ way

    Lots of places to get Micro Train couplers, one good one is, prices are around 10% less than your LHS.

Share This Page