Repairing an old loco

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
All -

I have an old Gilbert New York Central Hudson 4-6-4 loco that I have owned since the 1960's when I was a kid. It is still a good runner, and with new rubber tires can haul anything.

But it has seen better days. The front truck and cowcatcher, for example, are missing. I found what seemed to be suitable replacements, and installed the cowcatcher, though it seems a bit small. I can't figure out how to mount the truck, though.

The headlight works intermittently. The smoke-maker hasn't worked in quite awhile...

Since I am not sure how to repair these things myself, and am still consumed by track work, do any of you know someone who is good as fixing these old machines? I don't need it "restored" to a new state, but would like it to look right (with the front truck back on) at least.

So - any repair experts out there?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
doctorwayne is also a good source of information, and has a number of step-by-steps here with plenty of pictures.

You might also search locally for someone in a club or hobby shop in your area that could take on the work.

Andrew

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
hmmm.. I have a few simple sugestions for repairing your 4-6-4:

For the headlight: the wiring connecting the bulb may be worn or the bulb may be on its last legs as it is if it's the same from the 1960's. I'd replace the headlight with a better and brighter yellow/white LED in your shoes, and I think a trip to a local Home Depot would yield results.

For the front truck: From what the links above provided by HO seeker seem to show is that on your replacement truck, there should be a hole in the middle of the truck body to mount it on the underside of the engine. If you could provide pics, that would greatly help.

For the smoke-generator: Get a new one, that's all I can say. If it's pill operated, newer liquid generators work loads better. If it's an early liquid generator, which I doubt, same solution as the pill smokers. Of course, I don't like steam generators myself, stuff really gets into my eyes and nasal passages too easily, plus it's less electricity consumed I think.

Hope this helps!:thumb: