Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by railroader9731, Feb 19, 2005.

1. any one here have a good idea for removing paint without hurting the shell?????? thanks for the info:thumb:
  2. train1

train1 Member

I think I recall hearing some of the well crafted here use 'Brake Fluid' but that's where my expertise on this matter ends.

Can anyone expand on that...
  3. Tad

Tad Member

I soak shells in 91% isopropyl alcohol and then scrub them with a toothbrush. I usually let them soak overnight. I've yet to damage a shell.
  4. gandy dancer

gandy dancer New Member

A commercial paint remover does exist"Chameleon". Contains: glycol.ethers and alcohol.
    I have used it sucessfully,with no adverse affects. Manufactures E-Mail

gandy dancer
  5. engineshop

engineshop Member

Atlas, Athearn and Lifelike = 95% alcohol overnight
    Kato = I don't bother since I heard alcohol has a bad effect on the plastic they use
  6. BNSFtheLeader

BNSFtheLeader Member

the best thing to use (I use it on all of my Engines & Cars) is Polly S Easy-Lift-Off
    It's a Decal/ Paint Remover that works great, I usually use about 4 cans in a 96oz painters bucket.

The one I use is the 8oz can X 4 @ $7.99 Each if you cannot find it cheaper let me know and I will buy it for you and ship it.
  7. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

I use Chameleon or Easy-Lift-Off for my non-Kato stuff. For Kato I use Pine-Sol.

8. sschaer

sschaer Member

96% alcohol on atlas and kato shells
  9. engineshop

engineshop Member

How about the rumor that Kato plastic gets brittle?
  10. sschaer

sschaer Member

usually atlas shells can be left in 96% alcohol for a few hours or even a day.

kato shells should not be left in alcohol for more than an hour ! after about four hours they get brittle. most of the time i soak kato shells for 15 minuts then use an old tootbrush. back in the alcohol for another 15 minuts,tooth brush again.

so far only one shell got brittle. simply because i forgot it.
  11. Bnsftrainnut

Bnsftrainnut Member

I have used this product aswell and works great !!!!