A few heralds:

eslogo1je8.jpg
eslogo2cr6.jpg

eslogo3qt2.jpg
eslogo4lk1.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
My choice would be the first one, but with the name spelled out, similar to the herald used by the Chicago & Illinois Midland, another coal hauler, on their steam locos' tenders.

Wayne

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
doctorwayne said:
Eureka! That's it!! :thumb: Seriously, though, it's really neat how you come up with the graphics so readily. What's your secret?

Wayne

I agree! Very nice looking logo. I too wish to know how you're a master at graphics--especially your website!

Erie & Southern sounds so realistic, you'd have to prove it wasn't a real railroad!

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
eslogo6pr0.jpg

Here's a black version.

Thanks for the complements, guys! :eek:ops:

As far as the logo itself, I like it. But the downside is, remember this is for an N scale railroad. When I scale this logo down to size, it's almost unreadable. There may be a few tweaks I can make, but I don't know if my printer (which is pretty good btw) would be able to print it, especially on decal paper.

As far as the artwork...I dunno. I've just always been good at that kind of stuff.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I agree that this could be a bit hard to read in N scale. Part of the key to getting the final lettering as sharp as possible is to make the original as large as possible, clean it up, then reduce the size. You mention that you've always been good at artwork: I could say the same, but to translate that into something with a computer is the part that is beyond my abilities. When I did the artwork for my custom dry transfers, I used a combination of Letraset characters and hand-drawn ink artwork. I then turned it over to my brother, who scanned it, then enlarged it so he could bring up each individual character to almost full screen size. Using a commercial program in his computer, he then cleaned up all of the edges of each character (it's unbelieveable how ragged commercially available lettering is when enlarged), then recomposed the layout, and reduced it back to twice the size of what the finished lettering would be.
I'm curious as to how you made-up the logo: did you manually draw it, then scan it, or is it done totally on your computer? In either case, nice work.:thumb:

Wayne

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
doctorwayne said:
I'm curious as to how you made-up the logo: did you manually draw it, then scan it, or is it done totally on your computer? In either case, nice work.:thumb:

Wayne
Everything I do is 100% done on the computer, mostly using PhotoShop. I started out with a square, then made the shapes and colors I wanted, then added the text. The last thing I did was rotate the canvas 45 degrees to give the diamond shape. I too zoom in and clean up the edges to make everything as crisp as possible. Over the years, I've taught myself to use PhotoShop, and can do just about anything with it.

I'd like to have a USB pencil, because I'm left-handed. Then I could scan things I draw freehand and be able to touch them up better. Everything I do is right-handed using a mouse, but being ambidextrous helps.

Currently, I'm working on a revision of my e-pass, which I must say, is my best one to date. It's really cool.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I'm liking the new direction my railroad has taken...a lot! Then again, being approved by "The Boss" for double the layout space is enough to make anyone happy!

I especially want to thank brakie for helping me in the operations forum with my questions, which ultimately led to a new system map and how my new layout would run. And to doctorwayne for suggesting the new herald design.

The benchwork is 1/2 done. I'll start working on detailing my GP-7 soon, then painting. I have a couple structure projects in the works. The track plan is coming together (finally!) and soon...I'll have a model railroad.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
2-8-2 said:
I'm liking the new direction my railroad has taken...a lot! Then again, being approved by "The Boss" for double the layout space is enough to make anyone happy!

I especially want to thank brakie for helping me in the operations forum with my questions, which ultimately led to a new system map and how my new layout would run. And to doctorwayne for suggesting the new herald design.

The benchwork is 1/2 done. I'll start working on detailing my GP-7 soon, then painting. I have a couple structure projects in the works. The track plan is coming together (finally!) and soon...I'll have a model railroad.

Congratulations on that real estate deal that you've just closed!:thumb: However, a pessimist could view that as a set-back: if your layout space has doubled, and your benchwork is half-done, then it only stands to reason that the benchwork was actually finished until you gained the additional space!:rolleyes:
As for the herald suggestion, you're most welcome, :) although your artwork made it "work".:thumb: :thumb:

Wayne

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
doctorwayne said:
Congratulations on that real estate deal that you've just closed!:thumb: However, a pessimist could view that as a set-back: if your layout space has doubled, and your benchwork is half-done, then it only stands to reason that the benchwork was actually finished until you gained the additional space!:rolleyes:
As for the herald suggestion, you're most welcome, :) although your artwork made it "work".:thumb: :thumb:

Wayne

My benchwork was done! LOL!

I made the aluminum 4x6 frame, legs, and installed casters. Done. Now I'll have to cut the frame down to 3x6, and make another one just like it.