Removing un-wanted glue

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Bowdenja, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK do you keep the glue from gumming up the outside of your models. Do tell me to be careful, because I got hands the size of a catcher mit and small work ain't easy. :(

Anyway is there an easy way to remove un-wanted glue from the outside of the plane or do I really need to work on my micro-surgery techniques!? :D

I'm using the old white glue... the one with the picture of the bull on it. And I'm ending up with all these little spots on the outside. Water and Alcohol don't work is there a magic solution that will solve my unsightly ham-fistedness?

2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

usually use less than what you think, and use a light touch, and if you get it on a part, let it dry, and then use a blunt x-acto knife and pop off the dried up glue scab

I have been using a #10 blade
    i got the idea from the part time retired draftsman we use in my office, he uses it to scrape off ink from mylar or linen maps, works really well.

3. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Sounds like part of the problem is your glue try using “Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue†you can purchase it at any craft store. On a smooth surface the glue will peal off when it is not quite dry. As Rick pointed out the less glue you use the better off you are. To apply glue I use a small syringe that I purchased at my local hobby shop it is normally used for Cryo glues but has two different tip sizes and the larger works very well with the typical white glues. The other method is to use tooth picks to apply a small amount of glue. I have made a “glue†tool consisting of a #2 Exacto handle with a 1/32 brass rod in place of the knife blade. Remember if you are asking yourself if you have applied enough glue to the part, you still have too much glue.

Jim Nunn
  4. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Getting glue off

Agree with all of the above. Three more options you might want to at least try:

1) Dilute your white glue slighty. This will make it easier to apply a really thin string.

2) Try a hypodermic syringe with a plastic tip (used among other things for veterinary purposes to get creams etc. into various places non-critical places and crevices).

3) An ordinary "magic" eraser is sometimes useful to get half-dried blobs of glue off.

And last, but should be first: Varnish the parts (booth sides of sheets) before cutting them out with some non-shrinking matt varnish bought in the artists' shop for varnishing water colours and acrylic paintings. Comes in spray cans and makes it easier to get booth glue blobs and superfluous edge-colouring off.

5. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I use the aleenes tacky glue and before it is completely dry I use my finger to kind of roll the glue into balls and then I pick it off with tweezers.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks for the tips guys! All sound like something a big ole clumsy guy like me can do! :D

Rick... I tried the back of my knife and was able to scrap most of it off.... and it looks much better!

Leif... I had not even thought of spraying something on the paper to seal the ink.......Thanks...... and I love the P-39 it is looking fantastic. I aspire to be half a good as you!

Thanks for all the tips.... I'm going to look for Aleen's some syringes and more x-acto blades! :wink:

Man I luv this site!
  7. thomas-r

thomas-r New Member

for some glues nail polish remover (with acetone) works fine.