Removing the shell from a Bachmann loco

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
I received my first DCC equipped loco. It is a Bachmann, DCC on board, GP 40 diesel loco - DCC equipped.

The schematic of the loco shows that i have light bulbs on this train. But when i run it on my track, the lights don't work. I don't know if i have to change the cv's and turn the lights on.

I have tried to remove the shell, but i am having problems doing so. I want to check to see if there are bulbs, I am having a hard time tring to get the fuel tank off. I don't want to force anything, and break parts off. I thought i seen a post where you can get instruction how to remove shells from your loco's. But now, i can't find that site. I should have book marked it.

Any help to the web site im talking about, or to get the shell off would be very much appreciatted.

Thanks,
CAS

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Before you remove the shell, read up on how to turn on your lights with the cv. I think your loco should have lights installed from the factory, and you just need to turn them on with the decoder through the cv9 I think. If the Gp40 is like the F units from Bachmann, the tank cover snaps off, and there are two screws going up through the bottom of the tank casting into the shell.

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
I have tried to remove the fuel tank. It is very hard to take off.

Thanks Russ, i will try again. And i wasn't sure if the cv's of Bachman decoders are the same data as the digitrax's.

Thanks,
CAS

LocoIndy76

Jan 6, 2007
Greenfield, In
My Bachmann N scale loco's lights didn't work either... Toom apart and the bulb's wires were bent to far in... Weren't making ANY contact.... bent them back out and it worked GREAT. :thumb:

hope this might help. Can't help on taking it apart...sorry! :)

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
I've got a couple of spectrum dash9's and the way to take the shell off is to remove the couplers first, and then squeeze in the middle of the walkway, just like the athearns, and lift up.:thumb:

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
If the Gp40 is like the F units from Bachmann, the tank cover snaps off, and there are two screws going up through the bottom of the tank casting into the shell.

I had a very hard time getting the fuel tank off, it did come off after awhile.

the bulb's wires were bent to far in... Weren't making ANY contact.... bent them back out and it worked GREAT.
thumbsup.gif

The bulb wires seem to be ok.

I guess i'll start playing around with the cv's. Which one, who knows? Not me, thats for sure. If i mess anything up, i could always try and resetting the cv's to default.

CAS

trainnut65

Feb 17, 2006
Locomotive lights
Your DCC equipment instructions will tell
you how to turn the lights on and off –
usually F0 (or F10 on EZ Command). If this
does not turn them on check the alignment
of the decoder and reverse if necessary