removing roadname decals ?

alphanumeric

Jun 6, 2004
well I spoted some nice kato units I want to buy off Ebay.. they are dash 9's.. in the Santa fe red colors..

88_1_b.JPG

now with a couple of them..or all I want to remove the Santa Fe and put the BNSF decal on them.. or whatever is more realistic.

can anyone give me some tips on what kind of chemicals to use, if I want to remove the Santa fe.. or should I even bother? I am thinking its more work then its actually worth.

or maybe I could even have a shop do it for a small fee

C

Catt

Accu-paint thinner will take the lettering off a KATO shell.I've been told that 99% Isopropal Alcohol works too.

Accu-Paint thinner is nothing but acetone which can be bought at your local hardware store for a much lower price.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
?????????

Catt! said:
Accu-paint thinner will take the lettering off a KATO shell.I've been told that 99% Isopropal Alcohol works too.

Accu-Paint thinner is nothing but acetone which can be bought at your local hardware store for a much lower price.

Acetone will disolve most styrene based plastics. The alcohol would be a safer bet.

F

Fred_M

I don't think the SANTA FE on that unit is a decal, it's painted on. If you take it off you'll need to repaint the whole thing. If you soak it in some paint remover ALL the paint will come off. DANGER WILL ROBINSON, danger. FRED

lemscate

Mar 17, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
You can take the lettering off with some Pine-Sol. It was in the July issue of MR. I have tried it on an Atlas unit, and it works quite well, though it takes quite a bit of work.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Whatever you try - try to wet a small spot on the inside of the shell first. If it becomes tacky or gooey, then hands off that stuff!

I would also start out with alcohol. I used to use nail polish remover (which was almost 100% acetone) as plastic cement, so I would hesitate to use acetone on a plastic loco shell.

Ron

C

Catt

Not meaning to press the point but I have over a half dozen KATO locos that I have used the acetone to remove lettering from.It does not melt the plastic.

The lettering on KATO locos is actually an ink.

gvrsd80a.jpg

This is one of my SD80's I have a pair of them.I also have a pair of 70macs done the same way,and 3 ex SP SD45s lettered for my private leasing company.

My method is to apply the acetone with a cotton swab.After it sets for a moment or two start rubbing with the swab.

Wether you use the acetone or the 99% alcohol I reccomend that if all possible you do it outside.The fumes of either liquid can be bothersome (and probly quite stinky).

I think I will post this pic on Railwire.I'm sure Ed and Ian will enjoy this ex-Conrail loco. :D :D :D

alphanumeric

Jun 6, 2004
that is some very nice work.. thanks for all of your guys help.. at first I thought it would going to be some trouble..but it seems to be an ez job that requires some time =)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
What a timely topic..I need to remove some road names and numbers..I been using decal set but,its a long slow method..I shall try one of the improve methods. :D Perhaps the Pine Sol method?

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I am looking for this product at present, as I have some lettering to remove from my new Spectrum Doodlebug. I have never used it myself, but have heard a lot of model RR'ers swear by a product called OOP's..... I know, it sounds scary !!! They say it works great and in most cases doesn't even dull the paint beneath the lettering.

Anyone else heard of that product, and with what results ?

Bob