remove glow stick engine dies how to fix

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by rc10gt3jimbo, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rc10gt3jimbo

rc10gt3jimbo Member

ok i got an rc10 gt3, its my first gas car though i used to race electric. i broke it in but the engine runs hot 280 or so after gunning it for 4 seconds after it starts it runs alright but real hot up to 300 under harsh driving, but starting it is a pain in tha xxx , it turns over then puts and shuts off when i remove the glow stick , or it waits till li have the last body pin on and dies, i need help dialing in this engine ne ideas?
  2. CaNaDiAnRaCeR

CaNaDiAnRaCeR Member

It could be your glow plug,I had the same problem. Your running your engine way too hot, maby cause you leaned it out to much. Try running it alittle rich next time
  3. nitrosteve

nitrosteve New Member

Well try to go back to your factory settings and start adjusting from there. Dont touch your bottom end yet. Run the car around for a bit the lean the top end needle 1/4 turns then make some hard passes about 3 or 4. Check the temp, continue to do this until your running about 190 to 220. If your using a temp gun measure on the glow plug. Ok thats set now your going to want to set your bottom end needle. I just pinch the fuel line to cut of fuel to the motor then count 3 seconds and the motor should idle up then die. As you make these adjustment you will notice your idle will increase you will need to adjust it back down before this pinch test. If none of this works the the motor needs rebuilt. Or just buy a new motor. I dont think its the glow plug but it could be. Hope this info helps let me know.....
  4. rc10gt3jimbo

rc10gt3jimbo Member

hey nitro steve, i played around and relized i fouled out a glow plug , i replaced it and got it running ok, i messed with the low end out of the box the engine hauls, but it gets hot i can make it start properly, but its the adjustmments to make it not gert to 300, i removed the intake inhibitor, i think thats whats getting i hot it gains like 50 % power from removing the insert id like to find a way to set it to keeop it cool at that speed, i mean its shooting out blue smoke and at points gasi dont understand how to adjust it so its rich and cool i got it rich its shooting gas but it gets way hot going 80 % throttle for 1/4 block, i dont understand why i need a new enging or a rebuild if it will run , hauls#@$%starts sometimes has problems idling, but tweek the nobs mainly idle scrw open a bit more, and it stays ruinning,
  5. nitrosteve

nitrosteve New Member

I didnt say you for shure need a new motor but when you have to lean a motor out to the point to where its over heating just to get it to run your compression could be shot. Just spin the cluch bell on the motor when its cold and see if it has good compression. Good compression should be hard to turn all the way over but not impossible. If your spins with little or no effort you may want to think about a rebuild. Also when you removed the restrictor you increased your air in the air fuel mixture so you will have to richen the bottom end and turn up the idle screw. Im guessing this motor is pretty new so your compression should be ok unless you broke it in impropperly. Im telling you when I run into these probs I take everything back to factory and start over. These motors arent very forgiving when it comes to heat and 300 is way way too hot. There is the possibility that you damaged this engine. Well good luck let me know if you get it fixed.
  6. trible10

trible10 Member

rc10gt3jimbo,

I've had this problem with my RS4 racer, so I went to Lowes(Hardware store) and purchase about a foot of clear pvc tubing (in the plumbing section) that is the same size as the neck on my carb opening where the filter goes. Then I cut about 3 inches(just long enough to get more air from cut out in window), attached my air filter to one end and slide it on my carb and now I don't have the engine temp problem anymore. I have pics of the ones I've made for my RS4 and my T-maxx.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.