Remotoring AHM Plymouth and Baldwin

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by John Hubbard, Dec 15, 2005.

1. John Hubbard

John Hubbard New Member

Does anyone have any advice on remotoring the old HOn30 AHM Plymouth and Baldwin locos from the 60s?
  2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

i remember reading something about this not too long ago, so i tried google to see if I could refresh my memory, and found this: Documents/Minitrains Tutorial.htm

i am not sure if this is what I had read, but I saw some of those baldwins on ebay and could use one myself. I was curious how they ran straight out of the box.

3. John Hubbard

John Hubbard New Member

When the Baldwins were new, they were OK, but not great - they were only about $6 after all. Now, most of them have suffered cracked gears - the worm gears on the axles split as the plastic ages - and either have a hitch in their getalong or simply stall at the bad spot. NWSL makes a replacement gear set, which requires replacing the worms and the axle gears as a set, that brings them back to "like new" operating status at about $20 per set.
    The old open frame motors are more of a problem and I think a modern can motor would be a big improvement, although the basic gearing design will still be marginal at best, even with the NWSL gearset.
  4. nachoman

nachoman Guest

for a cheap and good can motor, find an old CD rom drive. they can usually be had for free or very cheap - I have salvaged a few, and pulled out a small 12v can motor that would wok well in an N scale or narrow gauge engine. I think I paid 50 cents for the old cd drive, and got an identical motor to one I bought from NWSL for about 10 bucks.