Remote control build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by, Jun 24, 2007.

1. I need a Pin up girl. . .

I hope this works I was just getting the hang of the other site so pardon the mistakes.
    I decided to start with the Sero Dr1. I picked the "typical" Red Baron colors, though if this flys, I probably will build one of the other versions. . .

This is what I have completed so far:

Overall photo of all pieces cut and partial assemblies
    so far.jpg
    The fuselage is not folded as of yet, I have to determine where to put the tail actuators
    body unfolded.jpg
    The Top wing I will be adding ailerons. The Wing support was modified and the ailerons cut out. The wings were made with 90lb stock.
    The ailerons were made with plain paper laminated to carbon fiber
    top wing.jpg
    wing support.jpg
    (I am sorry this does not show the modification, but when I build another I will add that photo.
    The tail feathers were made with plain paper and laminated to carbon fiber
    tail feathers.jpg
  2. I need a Pin up girl. . .

Remote control continued. . .

The elevator was sandwiched to 1 piece of carbon fiber, but an additional carbon fiber rod was glued to the two "halves" making it one solid single piece and able to move at the same time when actuated. (see arrows)
    I sandwich printed plain paper rudder to the carbon fiber also. This makes the skid and the support for the rudder very strong and light. I will separate later at arrow.
    I added carbon fiber to the firewall (see arrows)
    carbon fiber firewall.jpg
    front side firewall.jpg
    The cockpit was reinforced at the front and back with Carbon fiber
    cockpit with carbon.jpg
    cockpit with carbon other view.jpg
  3. I need a Pin up girl. . .

Pretty much the rest that I have done so far was in 90lb stock and traditional. Such as the fuselage
    body unfolded.jpg
    The cockpit floor
    The bottom and mid wings
    bottom wings.jpg
    mid wings.jpg
    The nose is traditional but I opted to double the 90lb stock instead of carbon fiber as the CF works best for me when used flat.
    double laminated nose.jpg
    I am now in the assembly and equipment phase. The projected finished airframe complete is around 16 grams with about 8 grams for the radio equipment, for a total of 24 grams or less. (These weights INCLUDE THE BATTERY!) The motor I plan to use puts out approx 19 grams of thrust, so the plane should rise off the ground. . .before it crashes...wall1

Attached Files:

4. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

This looks like a great project! You will take video of the first flight, won't you???
  5. I need a Pin up girl. . .

I plan to do the video if it flys or doesnt and thus share all the frustration...
  6. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I sure would like to learn more about the carbon fiver you used. The models looks great, working or not. I would watch the video too. Great build and concept.
  7. I need a Pin up girl. . .

Checkout lonestar balsa and look at the carbon fiber. It is under the heading:NYLON, FIBERGLASS AND CARBON FIBER
    I use ultra thin. basically thiner or as thin as a sheet of plain paper but with the tensile strength of steal. . .
  8. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

This is a great thread - it certainly looks like you know what you're doing, although I bet getting the triplane to fly successfully is going to be a challenge.
  9. I need a Pin up girl. . .

Mark 1984
    I agree, but I love a chalange and that is why I decided to add the ailerons. Even if it doesn't work well or at all, The challenges I overcome will help on the next. If it doesn't work at all, I am thinking about making the FG b24 liberator a go as my next one. It provides 4 motors, and a large wingspan. . .
  10. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

A Liberator ????? Now that's a build I WANT to see :) I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the build and the flight.
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I have built a few triplane gliders. The most important thing is maintaining the same relative angle of incidence. Have anyone seen the kits tyco are offering with the micro radio control and snap on motors? It looks like a great way to experiment with lightweight fliers.

Looks like an inexpensive way to teach my son (7) RC control and plane design. Thanks for the Lonestar link Alaimo.
  12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Great!!! Just a question, what kind of batteries and motors do you intend to use? and the receiver unit? ... This plane looks quite small in size, I'll wait and see how you fit all those in.
  13. I need a Pin up girl. . .

I have started to assemble and prep for the radio gear. . .well I guess I wont be adding to the thread I am getting an error while trying to upload?...any one know whats up?
  14. I need a Pin up girl. . .

Nezard vbmenu_register("postmenu_729906", true);
    The motor will be a GB45S7R with 19 + grams of thrust. The cube in the pic is 2 inches and it is quite small. The receiver is Microinvent and I will use lipo battery of under 3 grams. I am not endorsing the site, but I am buying my equipment from airmidimicros and bsdmicrorc if you want more specifics etc. I am also using the microinvent actuator. I am waiting on the motor, airmidd can't get them yet, I have been waiting for a few months. The rest of the gear I have from their site. . .
  15. I need a Pin up girl. . .

Well I am still getting a database error from zealot...will have to update later sorry. . .
  16. I need a Pin up girl. . .

test to continue the build

test to continue the build with pics
  17. I need a Pin up girl. . .

OK, here are more pics from the continuation of my build. . .

Here is a mistake I made with the carbon fiber. CF has grain. I put the grain in wrong when I glued the paper struts to it so that the cf cracked. The fix was the cf rod shown glued to the edge of the struts. . .

Another mistake I made was that I added the tail not deep enough, as well as the same cf mistake as above. The fix also was simple, as the pic shows, the cf rod added to the drag.

This led me to the realization that I will build at least 1 more Dr1, after fully testing this one. . .

This is where I am at present with the parts. . .

I have added the aileron control wire to the ailerons. . .

as well as the control rod supports for the ailerons to the wing using aluminum tubing. . .

some radio gear is as follows:
    This is the pic of the actuators for the ailerons and the rudder elevator. Note, I have not actually pictured the aileron act as I have not ordered it. I am waiting for the actual motor to be in supply.

Some sample motors for size comparison, but not actual motor as described above:

The radio receiver:

The battery:

Note: The final weight of the plane and ALL GEAR is approx 26 grams. The motor to be purchased has a thrust of 19 grams output with a specific motor. For flying, the prop will be a Carbon fiber prop as pictured. Since the card model has no real internal structure, I will add the actuators and receivers to the outside of the plane and cut into the front bottom for the receiver and battery after testing for center gravity from the outside of the model with tape. See pics:
    let me know what you think...I love this stuff good and bad feedback welcome. Note if you think I may be making a mistake somewhere let me hear it, this is new ground to me too!

More to come. . .
  18. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

It's looking good. The prop looks very large compared to the rest of the plane. Have you considered the large torque reaction you might get ?
  19. I need a Pin up girl. . .

Thanks Mark,
    I don't excpect any more torque than any other plane, but if so, I may need to over size the control surfaces, I hope not, but we shall see. . .as soon as airmidi gets the stuff I need in, video of the flight or crash will follow...:)
  20. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I'm looking forward to see the video. I hope it's a successful flight :)