Remembrance Day Train

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
I was fortunate to watch the Veteran's day train as it passed through Truro yesterday at 1pm. It stopped at the station for over 10 minutes. I took a lot of photo's but I like slide film so they have to be developed.

It was quite an awesome thing to see. 3 locomotives and over 30 stainless steel budd cars. The locomotives we're at the extreme end of the station and the rest of the train blocked 3 grade crossings and was only about 5m short of blocking another! It was huge. I also really enjoyed waiving to all the Veterans, we had a piper at the station and many school children came out to watch. If you get a chance to see this remarkable train it is well worth it.

Graham

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Nice work Andrew! Good pic's and a really nice write-up as well.

Looking at those pictures makes me wonder if the golden age of rail travel is really over - that is quite a consist! And from what I understand it was completely sold out/full too... :)

Andrew

Filled to capacity! They actually had to turn several hundred veterans away, which kinda annoyed me...it's a veterans train, forget the public, cram the train full of Vets!

The golden age of rail travel is over, sadly...however, passenger rail still exists, and i see it making a comeback. As strange as it may sound. I flew to Montreal a bit over a month ago, when gas was a tad below a buck a liter. The fuel surcharge was $40, and the two airport inprovement fees were $15 a piece. Each way! So, by the time i flew a round trip, i've paid out $140 in improvement fees alone! Add a round-trip ticket on top of that, and the train is lookin pretty good, especially for me, who doesn't like the ear-popping-eye-watering experiance one gets aboard an Aircraft.

AR

MasonJar said:
Nice work Andrew! Good pic's and a really nice write-up as well.

Looking at those pictures makes me wonder if the golden age of rail travel is really over - that is quite a consist! And from what I understand it was completely sold out/full too... :)

Andrew