Remembering Apollo 1

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Mechanic, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

On an ordinary Friday evening, Jan. 27, forty years ago, the Apollo launch team was hard at work at Launch Pad 34 on Cape Canaveral. A full dress rehearsal was in progress for the Apollo 1 mission, the first manned mission in the Apollo Program. . .

Forty years ago today Gus Grissom, Edward White and Roger Chaffee perished. For those who might be interested, has posted articles and a multimedia tribute. MSN Video is also playing a tribute video about Apollo 1 and all American astronauts that have lost their lives pursuing the exploration of space.

Attached Files:

2. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Thank you for reminding us, is important that we don't forget their memories and bravery.

3. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

I grew up with Apollo and I will never forget all that they gave for the space program and the hearts and souls of all of us her in the US and the world.
  4. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Three heroes
  5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I was there! Very cool stuff!
    ddd...did you sss...say 40 years ago? GASP!

(feeling old)
  6. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

I attended Ed White Jr. High in San Antonio. I don't remember Apollo 1, but I can remember watching astronauts on the moon during elementary school.
  7. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

"A Rough Road leads to the Stars"

Godspeed to the crew
  8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

As sad as the deaths of these 3 heroes were, I think we can at least take solace in the fact that this event caused a lot of soul searching at NASA and made the future crews safer, as Jim Lovell pointed out in his memoirs about the ill fated Apollo 13. Cheers to you guys, wherever you are - we won't forget what you did to help make this country great!

9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

*salutes the crew*

Gone, but never forgotten.

ARMORMAN Guest

I knew one of the scientists who worked closely with the crew...was a very devastating experience for him.