Rememberance

K.V.Div

Another November 11th has arrived, marking the armistice between the Allied Forces and Germany, ending what was then called "The Great War" and later, the First World War.
It was also refered to as "The War To End All Wars" due to its length, scope, ferocity and sheer brutality and yet, history has proven that it was only a taste of things to come.
Since that first November 11th, 1918, we have gathered around our cenotaphs and memorials to honer those who have fallen, defending our freedom in an effort to make our world a safer place to live in.
Whether you refer to it as Veterans Day, Rememberance Day or Armistice Day, I hope you all can all take a couple of minutes of your time at 11:00 AM on this day to think of and honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

The following was written by then Major John McCrea, a doctor assigned to the 1st Canadian Division during the 2nd battle of the Ypres Salient on the 3rd of May 1915.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from our failing hands we throw
The torch: be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Terry

Glen Haasdyk

Amen Terry, Amen

Both my parents immegrated for Holland and were born just before WW2. My mother will tell me of the Canadians that liberated her town in the closing days. I'd just like to take a moment to thank the veterans who gave of themselvles so others could live in freedom.

interurban

The Toronto Transit Commission , Busses Streetcars and subways "stopped"
For 2 min silence. As they always do.

My Greatfull Thanks , It does`nt sound enough does it.

But it comes from the heart.

Sir_Prize

Hmmm...
I noticed not many of us from "the states" have put in here.
Is this becuase we were busy attending events?
I myself was; Father was in the firing squad. It was quite nice, considering half the park
had been blown away by Charley and his friends.
Even though I have a bad heart and back because of the chemicals my Dad was exposed to
because of his military service... I'M DAMN PROUD AND HAPPY HE DID!!!

I'll step off my soapbox... next!