remember your first?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by NULLMOON, Dec 21, 2007.

NULLMOON Member

does anyone remember the first cardmodel they ever did mine was about 17 years ago it was a titanic model with 3 different kits a x-section,and sinking diorama,and a wreak following that i had a big model of hampton court palace i got in the gift shop:mrgreen:wasnt until fairly recently i re-discovered card models again
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Back when I was 9 or so... I had a Schreiber's Constellation translated and re-published by a Chinese publisher. I suppose they later ran into trouble with this and stopped printing them, and so I left cardmodeling till about 2 years ago...
  3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Wilhelmshaven F4 Phantom - in the mid 80's - I was like 15. It, like every model I built before I graduated high school (over 100, mostly plastic) got thrown in the garbage when I moved out to go to college.
  4. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

5. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

My first would probably have been a kit that came with a magazine called Quest, it was a part work thing that collected in Binders every 2 weeks, a poster and a model each time all about a particular subject, Bugs, the ocean space, flight…etc.

Probably followed at age 8 with the Taschen Titanic, then the amazing Paper Model Airplanes by…I dunno the one with the Fokker Dr1 Red baron, spirit of St. Louis, 1st commercial was the Geli V-1 in 1:33, from Marcle in UK….

Downhill from there eh?

John John
  6. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Way back when I was about 10 years old I remember National Geographic World Magazine had an insert in the back that you could cut out and glue together to make a globe of the earth. Thirty years later I got hooked with the Fiddlers Green Piper Cub freebe.
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Don't have to remember back very far! A year ago August, Ralph Currell's Concord.

8. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

do the paper dice, and airplanes (not regular fold delta's I used to get really creative), I used to make in high-school when I got bored count?
  9. Maly's Putilow Garford armored truck. Built maybe 5 yrs ago. I KNEW I should have written the date on the underside of the base!
  10. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

My first ever build was the Dropship model from AliensPapercraft. The little one from the LV426 Colony set. I found it terribly difficult for my first model but I was in such awe that these kind of models were possible using paper that I became hooked and have been since!
  11. furman

furman Member

Back in the 70's The Port Authprity of Allegheny Couty gave out paper models of trolleys and buses. Then I rediscovered paper models in 2000 when I stumbled upon Chip's free Gee Bee racer.
  12. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Mike Hungerford's Snoopy as the WWI pilot flying his plane (doghouse).
    About 5 1/2 years ago
  13. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Fiddlers Green's Cub in 1999.

14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I dont recall which one it was specifically but I built a ton from here:
    Paper Toys - Paper Cut-Outs - Custom Paper Models at

sitting at my desk (used to do phone tech support) in between calls. Made some using tape and staples even before I knew to try glue :) trial and error I guess we call it! Gave all those away to coworkers. I then moved on to Yamaha's bikes and animals :)

NULLMOON Member

quest christ i forgot about that i rember building a those i think i still have all the binders:mrgreen: i remember a tank and an earth globe i know there were others
  16. josve

josve Active Member

FiddlersGreen Cub two years ago.

17. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

Late 1960's I built the USS Macon navy airship. I did it so badly I gave up on paper. Fortunately I have found my way back into the fold.+++
  18. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

I did a lot of stuff before putting my first actual kit together.

I used to pattern stuff this way to make tiny toys out of the sheet aluminum from coke cans, thats where my designin start was, then I used to make a lot of paper toys for my son, and once he found these cool dinosaur paper models and liked them so I copied the patterns an made several more for him.

the first real cardmodel kit I put together though, was Ron C's TOS Enterprise!
  19. shrike

shrike Guest

My first was a printed - might have been Schrieber - Coastal Patrol boat when I was about 10. I had no english instructions and no idea about laminating anything and it was quite frustrating.
    My brother had started a paper Zeppelin once an I recall the front 6 inches sitting around for years.

I picked up a collection of Fiddler's Green postcards in London, but never built any of them

Round about 2000 or so I started thinking about that Zeppelin kit and in looking online I found Ralph Currell's site, I downloaded and built the R-100 and the rest as they say is history
  20. CaptMike

CaptMike New Member

My 1st was the 1/20 scale Alpha kit of the Harrier - bought it as a teenager back in the 80's. Not the best choice for a newbie, but the results came out okay. And most importantly, the card modeling addiction was irreversible.
    I still have it hanging from the ceiling where it is safe from the pets.

Attached Files: