Remember The Mini Chefs Set Christmas Thread?

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Remember the President's Choice Mini Chefs Train Sets that were available over Christmastime? Much of the entire thing is a write-off, except for the locomotive, which is a nice Mehano (?) 4-6-4 in CN green and black, with a Vandy tender. I'm pretty sure we had a good length thread about these sets going here on the Gauge. Perhaps someone could find a link - I cannot.

I was just in my local Superstore, and they have 16 of these sets for $49.99 Canadian. If anyone wants me to pick one of these up, I will do so, and ship it out at my dead cost. I can send the whole box, or even just the lokey, if that's all you want. Heck - if someone wants all the castoffs that any others do not want, I can do that too.

If you're interested, either PM me, or email me at megillriversystem @ yahoo.ca

Heath

May 1, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
Hi Steve,
I bought mine back in December last year, '05 and have been running it ever since. I agree, the rolling stock is of not much use but the loco is. One just has to get around the fact that the wheels have over sized flanges and won't run on anything lower than Code 83 track. I have run mine on Code 83 with no problems.
For the rivet coutners out there, yes the Vandy tender is too long and the pilot wheels are not proto correct but if someone wants and inexpensive "steam locomotive presence" to their layout, you can't beat the price.
I sacrificed the tender back up light and used the internal electircal pickups in the tender for dual pickups. Good friend of mine put a decoder in the engine. Pretty good hauler too.
I put a Kadee on the tender and if anyone has a suggestion for a coupler on the front cow catcher, please let me know.
One thing it has going for it is the motor is very quiet.
Have a good one,
Heath

Heath

May 1, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
I bought some snap together track, built an oval for breaking in my locos a long time ago and they were 18". It ran just fine on them. Loco isn't in front of me but I think the center driver doesn't have a flange on it so it's able to do quite well on 18's. No derailments at all.
As all equipment on Atlas Code 100 turnouts it will show a bit of rocking and rolling going overthe switch.
I did buy the Saddle made by Bachrus. http://www.bachrus.com/ and used the saddles to break in my locos now. Don't have to set up track anymore and they're great for detecting running problems and noise in the loco's. It's also a great way to add a SMALL amount of oil to the gear at a very very slow speed.

Tayder

May 3, 2006
Wow those things were selling for $99 here last Christmas season! I'd love to have one of the engines but the timing is just not right.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Check the engines for straightness along the running boards. One fellow spend an afternoon in the grocery store with a ruler. Also watch the valve gear -- I saw one with the eccentric on the wrong way round.