Remember the Academy

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
...and Robin

I posted this in N scale, but then I realized that there are actually other modellers out there:eek:, so I thought I should put it here, too...

I have a feeling that a lot of the newer Gauge members have never wandered down to the sections at the bottom of the forum, particularly the Academy. And they are probably not aware of Robin Matthysen, a Gauge member and excellent modeller who passed away a little over two years ago. Robin made innumerable contributions to the Gauge, and had a special talent for working with, shall we say, non traditional materials. One of his favorites was cerealboard, a code word for the cardboard a cereal box is made of!

Anyway, since I was thinking that a lot of folks might not even know about the Academy, I'd post a link to a thread now and then. Some of these might inspire other like contributions, too!

So here is one of my favorites, for all of us who need a bridge, but no one makes what we want...

A needed bridge

Jeff

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Jeff,

As the (sometimes delinquent) moderator of The Academy...

THANKS!! :thumb: :thumb: :D :D :D

This is a great idea to get some of that "gold" in there out into the light of day again. If you come across threads that have been corrupted or are missing photos, please let me know and I'll do my best to get them restored.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Great idea Jeff. I don't think to look over "Robin At His Best" in the Academy, but I used to look forward to each of Robin's tutorials as he was building this stuff. It used to be that I would open "Scratchin & Bashin" first thing whenever I came to The Gauge to see if Robin had added anything while I was away. I think a weekly "Robin link" would be a great way to continue to honor him. As they say he is gone, but definately not forgotten.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
I hate to think how much time I spent going though those threads. Unfortuntely, I found the Gauge only a few months before Robin left us. Maybe I'll do a Robin link one week, and another Academy link the next. That should last a while!

Jeff

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Here's another update on THe Academy and its Tutorials sub-forum.

Nazgul has rebuilt his fantastic waterfall thread http://forum.zealot.com/t155598/ which has been put to good use by several members, including TCH. See his results in his http://forum.zealot.com/t154502/ thread

Also, cnw1961's incredible http://forum.zealot.com/t113505/ has been added to The Academy.

With all the excellent work going on here, expect to see some more additions soon! If you have something that you'd like to add, whether it's a quick scenery project, painting how-to, or extensive loco rebuild, let us know!

Andrew
Moderator for The Academy