Reliable Shay ???

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Skunk Valley, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Skunk Valley

Skunk Valley Member

I'm building a mated set of modules using a "logging shortline" theme. Club will occasionally set up for shows or demos, so I'll need reliable locomotives.

I have a Bachmann Shay, but have heard that a lot of people have experienced drive train problems with them. I'm considering having another Shay for primary running, maybe one of the MDC types.

Any comments or thoughts on a reliable running engine?
  2. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Skunk Valley,
    As with everything else, there are ocassional problems. The only thing I can say is that my Bachmann shay has always run well, and even after being knocked off the club layout, and falling 4' to the concrete floor, it still runs well/. Don't know about the MDC ready to run shays, but the kit is noisy.
  3. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Jack,
    I have around 7 of the MDC shays two are RTR's but the rest were kits. All I can say is that they are a little noisy but run as sweet as a nut if you take time in assembling them.

4. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Which would you guys get next time around, kit or RTR?
  5. NYCentral

NYCentral Member

I have three RTR's and I think they are great!
    I also have two Bachmann's which also run great.
  6. moss-lake

moss-lake Member

I have 2 Bachmann shays that developed a line-shaft fault on both engines , in the same place an hour apart. The coupling ring (shay terminology - not mine) that holds the universals together on the front of the second truck was not holding the parts in proper alignment, allowing the universal to dissassemble under load.
    The coupling ring is a soft rubber with 4 slits to allow the universal 'T' pieces to be pushed in to the holes. These slits were not closing up allowing the 'T' pieces to drop out again.
    I contacted the importer via the LHS and recieved 2 complete shay trucks with the offending parts on them. Seems Bachmann only supply the parts in complete sub-assemblies.
    Can't complain about Bachmann service - 10 days from talking to the LHS owner to walking out with the new trucks.:D

Attached Files:

7. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Russ,
    Very nice drawing you did there friend, there are also a number of Bachmann three truckers that de-rail on straight and level track. (Centre truck) never happened to mine, but I was told about it.
  8. moss-lake

moss-lake Member

I'd like to claim credit for it Paul, but I got it off the shay page.

I have heard of a few different stories about them too but I think it depends on what people are trying to do with them (of course, it could be a similar problem to mine).
  9. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

The Bachman Shay I bought for the better half hasn't given me any problems yet. Just moves too slow for her. I keep telling her the "real ones did that". Has anyone else have this problem, or is it normal?
  10. moss-lake

moss-lake Member

What particular problem are you referring to?:confused:
    1. that your shay DOSEN'T have a problem :( :( :rolleyes:
    2. that your missus does have a problem and needs to get some 'speed':p :p ;)
    3. that 'the real ones did that' and you are just itching to prove it to her:eek: :eek:
    4. that it MAY be normal and you don't know it
    5. that after reading this, you would dearly love to get you hands around my throat but a minor obsticle called the Pacific Ocean is in the way

..........just kidding mate. My problem is too much caffine today (Nelson's been upping my dose without telling me again):D :D :eek:
  11. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

And a continent....I live on the east coast.
    All the above....except number 5........I'm a lover, not a fighter.
    Maybe I'm and she are too used to seeing my -9 moving at a pretty good clip, with a string of double stacks.
  12. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi, all the Bachmann 3 truckers run very very slow, they are geared like that. MDC will move quicker.

13. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

If a shay is moving faster than 12 miles/hour, it has "warp engines".

I picked up two new Bachmann shays at Trainfest. a Weyerhaeuser Timber, and,,,,, Cass #5 !!!!
    Both run well, will have to see if problems develope.