Reference Material

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by sdk2knbk, Jul 27, 2006.

1. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I was just looking through my digital pictures folder when I came across this picture. This is all of the reference material I've been using for my unfinished New Orleans class heavy cruiser Tuscaloosa. All 2D designing as usual, btw. Just wondering how much refence material the rest of you have needed or had available for your designs. As for me, all that stuff I already have, and I *still* need more!

Scott K.

Attached Files:

2. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Besides pics from internet (, I use this big book to reference my International Space Station by Andrew Chaikin and Capt Jim Lovell (from Apollo13).
    It was a gift from my manager - it pays off to display your models at office!!

Attached Files:

3. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Err. I'd have to photograph my entire office and the stuff is creeping out into the rest of the house. It would also be hard for me to distinguish between which is reference materials for cardmodels and which are for other purposes.
    Actuall the cardmodeling is reference for my writing.
    So here is a selection of some of the materials that I reference for model building.
    Birds of Alaska
    Birds of North America
    Peterson's Guide to Pacific Fishes
    Boats of Alaska by Pedro Denton
    Ocean Treasures: Commercial Fishing in Alaska
    Bush Pilots of Alaska
    Human Functional Anatomy
    Whales of British Columbia and Alaska
    Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound
    The Complete Book of Knots
    Baidarka by George Dyson
    The Great Canoes of the Pacific Northwest
    Reaching Home: Pacific Salmon Pacific People
    On Deck: The art of Modern Seamanship
    Hand, Reef and Steer: a practical handbook on sailing
  4. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Lizzie, I've got a large reference library as well. What I was actually getting at was that I was wondering how much material most people typically need for a single model by itself. I see great models from some designers and I wonder where they were able to find enough decent reference for the beautiful result they come up with. There are some subjects on my wish list that I'd like to design and build, but even with my personal library, the public library, AND the Internet, it's *still* not enough! That's one of the reasons I call my own designs "Eyeball Engineered", for the eyeball guesstimating I do when I don't have enough reference material. Like this one, my IM-99 Bomarc missile. Some of what I found online had conflicting information, and it's been difficult to determine an accurate color scheme, since I rarely find more that one image of any particular missile. (at least of the -A version I've built so far).

Scott K.

Attached Files:

5. clarklfarris

clarklfarris Member

I am a big fan of the internet and usually can find referene material for anything I want to design. My interests are primarily in military aircraft, armor and shipping. Over time I have accumulated a list of websites that have either pictures, specs or both. For instance there is a website that has 3 view drawings of a wide variety of vehicles, planes and armaments. If you like, I can send them to you if you let me know where your interests lie.

6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I'm a reference material junkie. Sometimes the Interweb is great (doing some research on Micheal Wittmanns last action I turned up an amazing aerial photo of the battlefield showing his wrecked tank and dozens of others, absolutely perfect reference) sometimes it can be a bit frustrating, the same old links refering the same old links refering the same old links, but don't forget books and magazines. Use the Interweb to find an index reference, then hunt down that printed plan on eBay. I reckon a printed plan, provided it was well-drawn in the first place, is worth a thousand scrappy bitmaps off a web page. The Interweb is of course a fantastic market place, and there are loads of commercial sites selling such material. Libraries and museums can often supply copies of documents they hold as well, and Google is a
    great tool for finding clues to where these things are. Forums such as this one are great for asking fellow members if they have anything you need; I've scanned dozens of plans and magazine articles for guys on this very forum, and received just as much material from them.

So, don't give up if Google fails you the first time you look, or the only plan you can find is so titchy and blurry you wonder why the poster bothered in the first place; the info IS out there, you just need to hunt it down.

And that is probably why I never finish anything; I am too busy out hunting!

Tim P (aka wunwinglow, wunhunglow)