Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Nothing, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

first off im stupid, so please no comments on how simple it is to figure out. I have a 1/32 scale model i would like to reduce to 1/ 72 scale. what percent reduction would give me 1/72 scale.(1/32 being 100%)?

2. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

For any reason I've been trying to post an answer, unsuccessfully.

Here it goes again...
  3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Maybe it's because of the math formula (*** Is there a block for math formulations??**)

Anyway, here's in plain English... rule of 3...

A. Divide 1/32, then multiply that by 100.
    B. Divide 1/72
    C. Divide anwer A between answer B (A/B), and you get the percentage of 1/72 relation to 1/32.
    The result is 44.44 percent.
  4. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

thank you very much. some of us old timers arent as educated as we should be. thank you for the clear answer!
  5. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

No problem, my friend. This is what the forum is for.
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Here is a neat little calculator that lets you convert between scales and do some other calculations of scale.
    ScaleMaster Scale Calculator
  7. Renaud

Renaud Member

reducing scale

scaling down: here is the full method , for example, trying to scale down from 1/32 to 1/72: see the attachment

At the end, if your model was 8 inch long, the coming one will be 8 x 0.44444444444 =3.55555555555 inch

The same way, if you are willing to enlarge, enter the scales as shown in the formula, and if you get, at random, 2.555, this means that your next model will be 2.5555 as large as the original.

I am a teacher...

Attached Files:

8. SteveM

SteveM Member

I'm an engineer and even I think that is a little over complicated.

If you have a model in one scale: 1/A and you want to rescale it to 1/B

step 1: multiply by A (will scale it up to fullsize)
    step 2: multiply by the new scale 1/B

combining steps 1 and 2 is just multiplying by A/B
  9. Maurice

Maurice Member

How about a little accreditation for the mind numbing simplicity of that method.
    If you don't mind that is.
    Of course you don't have to bother on google gropes, you don't get pulled up there.
  10. SteveM

SteveM Member

Whatever you want Maurice. Clearly you are the only one with the genius to figure out a very easy math simplification. I am so sorry to have stolen your thunder and humbly beg your forgiveness.
  11. Maurice

Maurice Member

No, no, no, not at all, you're overdoing it, again.
    Something like "The simplest method I've seen ... etc ...". no real need to say where.
    That saves you from the terrible embarrassment of having to let on to everyone how vastly superior you are whilst allowing you to achieve your primary goal of generously providing useful information to other people.
  12. SteveM

SteveM Member

Maurice, if you were the first one to describe that procedure, I honestly do not remember it, I am sorry. I am capable of doing my own math and coming up with the same procedure on my own, it isn't that obscure.
  13. Mike_BAR

Mike_BAR American Rocketeer

Thank for the math proof. It brings back fond memories!

For anyone preferring digital tools to the longhand calculation, there is a simple scale converter spreadsheet, in Microsoft Excel format, listed below.

Scale Converter download page: click here

Source website: Space-Paper-Models

14. Maurice

Maurice Member

Yeah, right Steve. You do appear to have been able to convince yourself.