reducing track sound?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by JoeGrapes, Mar 17, 2007.

1. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

I have Lionel O gauge track screwd to 3/4 plywood. The train is loud loud loud. What works real good at cutting down the noise? Road bed? Ballest? Something thats worth the effort if I have to take up the track.
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Foam board or ceiling tiles are the best solutions for track noise.
    Unfortunately, you will need to take up the track in order to do this.

Myself, I like track noise which is why there's no foam on my layout.
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

5. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I'm starting to think you're getting paid for product and retailer endorsements, man. :p :D
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

what kind of track do you have? old tube type or the fasttrack?
  7. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

I have tube type. Lionel O gauge. I looked up the Johnson rubber road bed. That stuff should be the best at $3.00 for a 10" section. At that rate a small fortune will be spent. I tried some Woodland Scenics thin black foam roadbed that the hobby shop had on sale for $25 a box. I thought it was a good price. Biggest box of crap!
  8. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i only pay 12.00 a box for that.

and roadbed will not kill the track noise, lots think it will , but it dont, all its for is to lift the track up so it looks like real roadbed.
  9. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Joe, what is supporting the 3/4" plywood? This can be a big part of the problem.
  10. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:) Well I know for sure he has some in stock and will not rape you for shipping. This place has some in stock too!

Just note it is best to call Tom at Tire Hill, his web site can be outdated at times.
  11. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Joe you did ask what works real good. :) I do use Armstrong ceiling tile on my 5x9 with screws going right into the plywood and I am very happy with the results.

It has held up very well with no problems. I gave it three coats of brown paint and a additional coat of green or brown prior to landscaping.

If your into the toy train look then carpet should do just as well. But if you want zero noise then nothing will ever beat the rubber.
  12. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Here are some cheap things you can do that help that won't require you to yank up all your track all at once. First, don't attach the track to the table with screws. Use plastic zip-ties instead. Drill a hole in the table, push a zip tie through, then zip a second tie up the tie to hold it in place. Metal transmits sound waves very well, while plastic doesn't.

Putting material between the track and the table helps too. If you want something cheap, that grippy rubber stuff that you put inside cabinets and drawers to keep plates from sliding around works just fine. A big roll of it costs a dollar at the dollar store in the kitchenware section. Cut pieces of that, stick it under the track sections, and that'll reduce vibration. $2 worth ought to be enough to cover even a huge layout. Get a neutral color if you can, or you can paint it. Another option that some people do is to get weatherstripping and put a piece of that under each track tie.

The table itself can also amplify the track noise. Putting some foam or egg cartons or some other material on the underside of the table can cut down the amplification. If you want a cheap source of foam, bug the shipping/receiving department and/or computer department where you work. They may be able to provide you with some used packing foam. It isn't good for much else, so if they have it, they'll probably gladly give it to you.

Try one or more of these things and see if you can notice a difference. You probably will.
  13. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

Thanks guys. I know the sound of the train is transmitting thruogh the wood and echoing. I have some thin rubber at work that I'm going to cut up and slide under the track and I also have some inch thick packing foam that I'm going to glue to the bottom of the plywood where you can't see it. I'll try that and let you know how it works. Thanks again
  14. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

For that price, Id be safe to say that there would be alot of that Johnson stuff in stock -lol
  15. Geno

Geno Member

I'm using 1/2" sound board glued to the sub top- although I'm using Gargraves track, I only hear the trains running on the track, not the echo or loud noise from running track on bare plywood. The ceiling tiles will have the same result. 4 x 8 sheets sell at the Depot for about $8.

16. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

[FONT=&quot]Not that it matters but the $3.00 price is the retail price form the company, the actual cost varies from $1.25 to $1.75. In any event it does give you a nice ballast look while preserving that old 0-27 look.

The best thing to use is up to the designer of the layout because there are several good choices from the cheaper to the more expensive. In addition sound bench design goes a long way in helping the total noise. I was lucky because even my fastrack on plywood produced little noise if any. The ceiling tile was a safety net and the two factors in choosing this was fire safety and it came in 2X4 foot panels making it easy to work with

If I was using 0-27 and wanted more than the traditional carpet on a table I think I might of used the rubber base.
  17. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

I like homabed, also not cheap. a frend of mine who was a contractor used scrap carpet underlayment under his HO track, as it was the quietest I have ever encountered, and was essentially free.