Reducing the size of Paper Models

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Werner Smuts, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Werner Smuts

Werner Smuts Member

Hi all,

Hope someone can be off help. A while ago the was a post about scaling down paper model and someone posted that there was a program that takes the total pages of a PDF file and then transfering the total pages to two or three pages.

So for instance if you had a pdf file with 12 pages in it, the program would have reduced the size and put the total of pages onto 2 pages.

Can someone tell me what that program name is please....
    Thanks alot
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

You can try printing multiple pages per sheet to a pdf printer, such as freePDF XP, etc
  3. Werner Smuts

Werner Smuts Member

I've been able to download FreePDF XP, but i need to install ghostscript. We're being blocked on various sites, and i'm unable to download ghostscript. I wonder if there is a bypass to this or are there any other type of programs?

Thanks for the help so far!
  4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Oh sorry I didn't know that... Any more helps guys?
  5. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Werner, do you mean your internet access to that site is blocked? If so, have you tried an online "web proxy"? Maybe it can get you there. I use this one:

Often works for me, over here behind the Great Chinese Firewall. Good luck! :)
  6. bill516

bill516 Member

If the original paper size is A4 then cut the page in half to, give you A5. Set your printer to A5 paper size and print the model at 100%. This will in effect give you a 50% reduction in size. This is the way I have done it for models that I have done at 50% its simple, of course if you want a different size you need to alter the settings in the program you use.

7. Peter the Ingrate

Peter the Ingrate New Member

Not so. Going from A4 to A5 halves the area of the image but a straight line on the page is only reduced by 70.7%.
  8. Switched

Switched Recidivist

I'll be darned. I didn't know that. I've been wondering why the 100mm scale line on a couple of Trotskiy models I've built were printing at ~70mm on A4 paper. Now I know they were meant to be printed on A3. :thumb:
  9. bill516

bill516 Member

well they do say your never too old to learn, and it is so true in this case. Thank you Peter the Ingrate. Models do build ok using this method for reduction but as you say they are not at 50%