Red rock scenery for new layout

smartchopper

Mar 8, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
I am another "newby" with about 12 HO trainsets, and have never seen them run on a layout. I have decided to fix that.

I have a woodlot and we process alot of hardwood for fireplace use.

Last Fall, I made an amazing discovery and that is when splitting Ecyuptlis logs, the small chunks that splinter off, look just like the "Red Rock' that you find in Sedona, Az and also at Lake Powel, (AZ/Utah).

I know that I will eventually have the heaviest layout in exhistance by using these pieces, but mother nature has afforded me the opportunity to do so.

I am still looking for a good plan with plenty of long runs on a 12X8 ft layout.

Any suggestions?

I have run into a problem.

I bought the Model Power "Acela" last year and added three Bachman cars this year and the couplers are miles apart from matching.

I never opened the MP set until the Bachman cars arrived.

What are my options?

Thanks for your help,

smartchopper

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Welcome to the Gauge! I've seen rock formations made using wood mulch or something like that, looked pretty good. As to the weight, you're not thinking of making solid wood mountains, are you?

A 12 X 8 space has a lot of possibilities. How is it with respect to walls, doors, and the like?

There are a lot of layout plans on the web. Shamus has several good ones on his site, also Atlas has a lot as well. Poke around some and see what you like and go from there. For your first layout, don't forget the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

As far as the Acela, I don't have a clue. Not too interested if it doesn't use wood or coal to make it go! Bachmann has a "forum" (if you can stand the nonsense) which might be a good place to ask.

Bill K

Coupler Help for you!

Hello:

Here is what I use to mesage coupler hieght. It's made by Kadee. I also recommend Kadee couplers for ALL cars and locomotives! I have replaced every single couple that came with the rolling stock and locomotives with Kadee. You can go to www.kadee.com or www.walthers.com for the products.

I also like your tree idea. I use golden rod weeds for my trees. Take alook at my web site. www.geocities.com/droid144/index.html

Hope this helps,
Andy

Attachments

• 03800000000205.gif
    03800000000205.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 111

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Andy is right!

Use the Kadee no. 205 coupler height gauge to measure and adjust all your couplers (Kadee's ARE the best!), and you shouldn't have a problem.

If the coupler is too low, there are washers you can add to the truck kingpins to raise the body (Kadee sells 'em, and some come with the height gauge). If the model is too high, you can use shims between the floor and the coupler box. There are even different types of offset couplers you can use to get them all to the same height if too many washers or shims are going to be needed.

Also, make sure the air hose is "set" right, too. The gauge shows this, too. The hoses can be bent if needed (Kadee makes a tool for this, too!).

Happy modeling - and it will be a LOT happier with cars that stay coupled !

- George

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Smartchopper,
The "air hose" George refers to is the uncoupling pin on the Kadee coupler. The height gauge allows you to set the pin height so it won't foul grade crossings, switch frogs, or whatever may be between the rails. I have found that you can adjust the pin higher than the gauge requires and still get dependable uncoupling action.
The coupler advise you've got from everyone else is the best you're going to get.
Have fun!
Pete

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Smartchopper, welcome to the gauge, looks like you are going to have fun building your railroad, as Billk stated, my website has many track-plans, if you require further help in a new plan for your room size, I would be glad to help.

smartchopper

Mar 8, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Couplers from Space

Thank you for your suggestions re: couplers. Problem is this set from Model Power # 2500 has no conventional couplers at all, just a male (post)and female (socket)
The 3 units only have 4 sets of metal trucks. I cannot find any info on this set anyplace. The phone number at MP is no longer in service so....they must be out of business.
Only solution is to purchase an Amtrak engine to pull my new cars.
Thank you all for your help.
R. Sprenger
Smartchopper@yahoo.com

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Speaking of Model Power, they will soon be releasing a metal FP-7 kit and a metal 4-6-2 Pacific. I'm really curious to see if the quality of these locomotives is significantly better than their past offerings. The Pacific is particularly tempting to me...

None of this is on their website, though. In fact, it doesn't appear to have been updated since sometime before last Christmas. I found out about the FP-7 and Pacific from Brooklyn Locomotive Works:

http://www.blwnscale.com/Model Power 4-6-2 Pacific.htm
http://www.blwnscale.com/Model Power EMD FP-7.htm

Also, the 4-6-2 was recently listed on Rio Grande Hobbies' site:

http://www.4nscale.com/products.asp?m=72&t=37

-Rory