Red Caboose X-29 Lehigh & New England Boxcars

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
OK, here are some photos of one of my new RTR Red Caboose X-29 LNE boxcars.

aaa.jpg

aab.jpg

aac.jpg

aad.jpg

I have two boxcars. These are the first Red Caboose products that I own.

I don’t know how prototypically correct they are but first impression is they are nice cars. The lettering on the cars is some of the crispest I have ever seen. The detail parts seem to be well made and attached. I did not find anything loose. The cars seem to be weighted correctly (I forgot to put them on a scale).

My only complaints are the price $29.95 each and the fact that the couplers are plastic with metal springs. You would think at the price they are charging they could give you Kadees.

I need to run them some and check and see how easy it will be to replace the existing couplers with Kadee couplers.

More reports coming.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nice looking car. The L&NE did in fact own cars patterned after the Pennsy
X-29, although the paint scheme on your car is not likely the original one. I think, though, that it is prototypical. I picked up several of these cars as kits for next to nothing: for some reason, a lot of modellers around here don't seem too interested in the Pennsylvania, even though they built almost 30,000 of these cars, and they were found throughout North America. Mine were all undecorated but I painted and lettered all but two of them for Pennsy and they look good with my upgraded Train Miniature versions. The other two were done as Erie and B&O, both also owners of this type of car. The kits are easy to build, although I replaced grabirons and steps with metal ones. If I can find more at the same price, I'll buy them.
Wayne