Recent hack

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Ron, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Ron

Ron Member

Hi everyone

I managed to partially fix the damage from the latest hack. There was a vulnerability open where anyone in 'the know' could become administrator
    and wreak havoc. Fortunately, I was the only one that got deleted in the hit. If you see over 800 posts by 'anonymous' the chances are it was me writing them. The holes have been plugged so we should be safe until the next little bastard comes along. Sorry for the language but if you could hear my thoughts, eardrums would be blistering. I'm in the process of setting up a temporary site with the latest phpbb bulletin board and portal modifications. When everything is up and running without flaw it will be transferred over to here. This process should be nearly invisible but there might be a few hiccups along the way. Anyways, over the next week or so we will find out.

All the best

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Ron,

I am not sure how your server is set up, or where it is "based" but, we all know there are now laws in most places concerning malicious acts via the internet. I see that you are in Canada yourself, If the server is in the US (canada may have a treaty with the US in these matters), and the server records the isp addresses of these "hackers", you can file a complaint with the internet cyber crimes commission (IC³) division of the FBI at . They WILL investigate it. Te top of the site speaks of fraud, but they deal in all "cyber crimes" and malicious acts on a server used as a business, and since you do have advertisers, you are a "business".
    But they also handle cases of stalking, fraud, etc. So this site is a site everyone should know. anyway, thought I would put in my two cents worth.

3. Ron

Ron Member

Thanks Geedubbya :)

I'm not sure it's prosecution that I would be looking for... more like take the culprit, hang him by his eyelids and then kick him where it counts until he starts to blink. I really wish we didn't have to rely so heavily on law enforcement, statutes etc. It would be nice to live in a time where decency was the norm and the definition of being cool was related to simply staying out of the hot sun. What a pipe dream

4. Darwin

Darwin Member

Ron, I gotta admire the way you think.
  5. popala

popala Member

Law enforcement will NOT investigate server breakins unless you can show a significant economical damage...
    Unfortunately I know this from experience :(
  6. R0Y

R0Y New Member

Had to laugh at this, you sound like a man after my own heart except my version goes along the lines of Boathooks and Nostrils :)