Reccomendations For My Logging Area...

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
I am in the process of trying to figure out what to do with my future logging area on my layout. The area I have to work with consists of a 2 by 4 foot space. Wouldn't be too bad in HO, but I'm trying to get something going in O scale.

I'm hoping for any helpful comments or ideas.

Here's an overview picture of the area I'm working with.

Attachments

• mrlm2.jpg
    mrlm2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 157

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
I'd like to have a relatively simple log-loading area portrayed. I'd like to have a spar tree...about the base size of the stump, and two loading tracks; the two upper ones. The lower track goes through.

Does this look like there is enough room? Does this look plausible?

Attachments

• mrlm8.jpg
    mrlm8.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 156

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
In this upper area, I'd like to have a sloping treed hill...perhaps with a "high lead" suggesting that logs are brought over the hill from elsewhere to be loaded here. Suggestions?

Attachments

• mrlm9.jpg
    mrlm9.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 150

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Steve, just my thoughts, but I have drawn on one of your photo's what could be done. Hope it clear enough for you.
Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• steve.jpg
    steve.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 142

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Steve,
You are facing the same kind of problem that made me think twice about doing a lumber switchback in 2' X 12'. In O scale you need a lot of "real estate". I like Shamus' idea with the high lead, and hills, but I think trying to include a sawmill in the same scene would be too much. A very small mill would need 8" (32') X 16" (64'). Then, you need the log pond, or some other kind of log transfer, and some means of shipping out the cut lumber.
I'd go with Shamus' idea, minus the mill. you could have the mill "off layout", and model only the log pond on a siding somewhere else. In this case, have your spar tree at the top of the hill, and switchback up to it for log pickup. Your trains wouldn't be that long, and you could use a fairly steep grade up the switchback.
The alternative would be to have your logs coming in from "off layout", and use the space for a mill. Remember, your mill has to be a little over three times the length of your delivered logs. You need over a log length from the pond, to the headsaw, and over a log length from the head saw to the cutoff saw, and over a log length from the cutoff saw to where the cut lumber is handled.
A 24' log, is 6",so 6+" before the headsaw, 1"-1.5" of headsaw,
and 6+" after the headsaw.
Oh, the other problem I had with the O scale switchback was that I could do a better one in HO, and it could be tied in to my other modules, and someday even be a layout!
Pete

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Thanks for the comments! Shamus' idea is roughly what I had been thinking...minus the sawmill. I'd like to have a log dump elsewhere, and would someday like to scratchbuild a sawmill, but I'm nowhere near that good yet.

I have roughed in the hill, and the spar tree will be going approximately where the stump is in this picture.

Attachments

• mrlm10.jpg
    mrlm10.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 116

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Thots:

You will have more area, real area and the apperance of more area, if you make the mountain steeper and taller. This won't give you any more area for trees, since they grow straight regardless of grade, or for buildings, since you have to carve a flat spot for them. But it would look bigger and give you more area for scenery. You could start at the edge of the layout, go up steep, and "blast out" the areas where the track is. Another thought is to place an unpowered track up high, where the pink is now, then you can set a crane, crew car, rollin stock, etc. up there. The end on the right should dissappear into the forest or a cave, so it appears to come up from the main line. The real, powered tracks could also be elevated slightly.

This is a mirror image of shamus's track in a blasted out hillside (sorry big guy, I'm assuming you approve):

Attachments

• hillside.jpg
    hillside.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 123

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Okay, let's see...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You will have more area, real area and the appearance of more area, if you make the mountain steeper and taller. You could start at the edge of the layout, go up steep, and 'blast out' the areas where the track is."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...This is a great idea. This little logging area is already up on the "high line" of the layout, and as it is, the top of the hill is higher than line-of-sight already. However, I think that a steeper, "cliffier" slope would be a great idea. The logging area is already clinging to the edge of a cliff, as the ground lower than this area is steep. Thus, your cliffs continuing upward is a great idea...way better than some gentle slope.

Next...
"This won't give you any more area for trees, since they grow straight regardless of grade, or for buildings, since you have to carve a flat spot for them. But it would look bigger and give you more area for scenery."

...I'd think that regardless of slope angle, the trees will take up the same space. I do not plan to have any buildings on site, just a donkey and maybe a small shack or two. The premise is to be that the crew hops on the log train in the morning, goes over to the site which is not too far away, and comes home with the train.

And Finally...
"Another thought is to place an unpowered track up high, where the pink is now, then you can set a crane, crew car, rollin stock, etc. up there. The end on the right should dissappear into the forest or a cave, so it appears to come up from the main line.

...And come to think of it, this idea would be GREAT for forced perspective, don't you think?

Thanks for the great ideas! Can't wait to work on this!

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Well, following those ideas, I popped into the layout room and re-positioned things a tad. Here's the result.

I moved the hill back a bit, effectively making it a bit steeper, positioned some rocks and "tree trunks" for the general idea.

Attachments

• mrlm13.jpg
    mrlm13.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 92

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
A slightly different view of the log loading area...

Once again, anyone have ideas? It's GREAT to have input so that the final result will be better than whatever I would have initially come up with.

Attachments

• mrlm16.jpg
    mrlm16.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 49

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Loookin gooood! If you want more slope, and maybe room for a few more trees, without going up to high, you could have it slop down below the benchwork on the front. I don't see people do this much on the "edge" of a layout, but I plan to, and I might even take it all the way to the floor.

Great idea on the HOn3 track!

05520000000500.jpg

Pico makes the coolest looking HOn30 track :)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Steve,
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who plans by "piling-up" a scene to see how it might look. I like the technique because I can modify things, and positions of things, until I'm happy with what I'm seeing. Then I can go ahead and build the scene.
Pete