Reality check

SAL Comet

Well I've been thumbtacking down some track and turnouts to see how my plan is go to work on the limited realestate I have. I'm discovering that 1' on the benchwork ain't the same as 1' on the planning software. I'm still trying to cram it all in there, But I may have to scale back my trackage. even though every thing on the plan is to scale, it just seams different in real life. Anyone else encountered this?

Attachments

• SAL 12-5jpg.jpg
    SAL 12-5jpg.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 185

Pooh Bah
I can't comment on software, but I know that lots of professional track planners manage to cram in more track than will work. One job you should do now is put down a crossover and measure how long it is. In HO they may run 2 feet or longer. In hand drawn plans, they show the theoretical intersection of the main and other line; this usually come about where the points are pivoted and there are a few inches of point and an inch of atraight track beyond.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Reality really does show that when it comes to laying track, there has to be adjustments as what looks good on paper doesn't always fit.

Odd... I use el-freebie RTS track planning software from Atlas... I only works in "sectional" track, while I use flex, but I just mentally "get over" that...

Having said that, I have had exactly the opposite experience: if the software says it will fit, it will fit. A few things I did not think would fit did. A few things I thought "oh come on, of course that will fit" did NOT...

Urban

SAL Comet said:
But I may have to scale back my trackage. even though every thing on the plan is to scale, it just seams different in real life. Anyone else encountered this?
Sure, we've a tendency to draw track as a line, when in reality it's an area.

SAL Comet

Well, It all goes on there, just like the plan said. Problem is, all the sidings are too short and crowded looking. It turns out that only about 9 or 10" of the 12" shelf are usable, because of the sloped ceiling. :curse: Gonna have to change things I think:mad:

CalFlash

SAL Comet said:
I may have to scale back my trackage. even though every thing on the plan is to scale, it just seams different in real life. Anyone else encountered this?
I don't know what software you're using to design your layout, but I'm using PlanIt3D and although I don't use all the features (3D stuff) it has been well worth it for a layout my size (13' x 32') Not only did I lay out the track but set elevations, compute wire runs and lengths for DCC, etc. One very nice feature is the ability to make changes rapidly. I used this ability to adjust my elevations and was able to reduce the max grade from 1.9 to 1.4 which I suspect will pay off in train lengths possible.