Realistically, how much can you enlarge?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by andrew ferguson, Feb 8, 2006.

1. What is a realistic amount you can enlarge a good quality card model by and still have it look decent? I don't mind if it gets a bit of a grainy/pixelated look to it, as it will be viewed at a distance of a few feet.

So far i've done 2:1 with no problems at all. I'm contemplating a 5:1 enlargement of a 1/100 scale model but would like to get some opinions before i start blundering in..
  2. 46rob

46rob Member

It really depends on the image size you start with. Many card models are printed at low DPI, so that the file size stays small for emailing. Other models are printed at higher resolutions and can be enlarged to a greater extent without serious degradation.
  3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

one of the things you should do, if the kit is preprinted, scan it at a very high resolution, that way you will still have a clear print when going to 1:20

if the kit is digital, and non vector, raster image, jpeg and the like, then you are pretty much stuck.
    if the kit is vector, than you should have a good shot at getting a nice result at 1:20

(anyone who wants to disagree with me, go right ahead)

4. Kaz

Kaz Member

Vector Graphics

Far from disagreeing with you, I thought Vector Graphics could be enlarged as big as you want, with only the points being recorded and the lines drawn afterwards.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

When scanning you could run into some moirre effects but with a 2D image tool you can apply a very small ammount of blur to get around that,
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Depends what size printer you have, as well!!

Tim P
  7. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Aside from the given limit of your largest single part cannot exceed one page of print material others have covered "most" everything else.

Here however, is how I avoid pixellation (I do everything in raster, hate me if you will :-D ): (I hope I can articulate this correctly - More coffee might help)

I first convert my intended subject into an Acrobat PDF file.
    I then open it in Photoshop. When doing this you are allowed to select the DPI. As my final results for personal printing are 300 dpi I use this as a base number and work upwards from it, opening those pdf pages at 450 or 600 dpi as a general rule (Provided you have enough RAM and/or scratch space - disk space allocated for virtual memory). Photoshops algorithms have never pixellated an image I have opened in this manner.

After I have my 450 or 600 dpi image open I create a new blank photoshop image at 300 dpi. Returning to my 450/600 image I use the selection tool to cut each pattern piece into a new layer. These layers are then dragged into my 300 dpi document and arranged to fit. I proceed in this manner, creating additional 300 dpi images as needed until my entire pattern is done. Everything is then saved as Photoshop pdf files and recombined in Acrobat as a single document for printing.

Hope this helps.
  8. 46rob

46rob Member

You can exceed the page size limit for a single part, provided you are willing to cut the part into two or more separate pieces. Using Photoshop (or Elements), select the part, open a new document form the clipboard, and then draw 1 px lines in a color slightly darker than the background color, indicating where the part will be split. Using the polygonal selection tool, carefully select each area, and paste to a new doc.
  9. k5083

k5083 Member

Assuming it is not a vector graphics file, it seems to me the limit on enlarging (using all the tips mentioned so far) is simply how finely done the graphics were in the first place. Like a photograph, even with image smoothing, sharpening, and whatever, at some point the lines and details will start to be too gross to be attractive. With pretty kits like a Halinski or recent GPM, I would think this would start to happen at 3x or 4x original size. A lot of older kits look crude even at 1:1, and any enlargement makes it worse.