Realistic Water

DrGeologist

Canadian Down Under
Nov 25, 2007
NSW Australia
I’ve never modelled water before and I was wondering if people could post their success / horror stories about different products. (i.e.Woodland Scenics Realistic Water, E-Z Water, or various epoxy products.)

I have a large area to cover (approx. 3.5’ x 2’) and want to simulate a deep harbour.

Please post photos of you water if you have them!

Thanks in advance for your help.

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
DrJ,

This is a very broad topic!! You will likely find there are many many ways to produce realistic looking water and it really depends on your liking and what you eye sees as real.

One thing to stay away from is actual water. Actual water does not look like water on a layout in most cases and is a real bother to work with (don't ask).

I have seen very convincing water made from painted plaster, casting rosin, glass, silicone, and even cellophane tape. I think to get the look you want you will need to study pictures and practice on some small areas until you get the look you want.

I know this is not an answer to your question, but I am sure others will have pictures and specific suggestions.

N

nachoman

A deep harbor...
The best ones I have seen are made by painting a smooth harbor base the appropriate colors (the difficult part) and then giving it a gloss surface wither with a thin layer of resing, or simply painting with an acrylic gloss medium. Wayne's looks about as good as it gets.

Kevin

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I made this intentionally murky river by spreading joint compound on masonite, dabbing at the damp compound with a wet natural sponge to create ripples and waves, painted the surface with Woodland Scenes Stone Grey earth pigment, and then covered it with several layers of acrylic gloss medium. I like the low odor of the gloss medium and its not expensive.

IMG_0408.jpg

Ralph

DrGeologist

Canadian Down Under
Nov 25, 2007
NSW Australia
Fantastic pics guys. Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of "low odour" since I have a little fella who likes hanging out with dad.

For the harbour, I would want it to be very calm with no sense of movement, and very murky and green. I'll do a few tests with painting to simulate this, and let you know how I go.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
For a very large area like you're trying to do, I think the gloss medium is probably the best approach.

Woodland Scenics has a couple of water products as well... I haven't tried the "realistic water", but I didn't find the heat'n'melt water looked very good.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
For the harbour, I would want it to be very calm with no sense of movement, and very murky and green. I'll do a few tests with painting to simulate this, and let you know how I go

Go to a craft store, find some accrylic paints in the color you want and use WS realistic water. It is great for calm water. Its priced decently also. I thats what Ive used. JUST MAKE SURE THE AREA ITS TO BE USED ON IS VERY LEVEL!wall1

Attachments

• DSCN2595.JPG
    DSCN2595.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 12