Realistic water

Discussion in 'Software' started by Darwin, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Darwin

Darwin Member

:shock: Have you seen the "reflecting pool" animated graphic images and wished you could make one of your favorite ship model? I just ran across some software that allows you to do it, and best of all, it's a :D FREE :D download. Go to and look for a downloadable program called "Sqirlz Water Reflect." The first time I tried, I created a pretty credible avi file of photo #19 in the Wilhelmshaven San Francisco thread of the ships apparently sitting in port with positively realistic wave action. It only took this dummy about 10 minutes of fooling with the program to do it, and without opening the help files you know it's easy to used. The program is stand-alone, so you don't need a high-end graphics application to use it, even, and is only a 600 kB download, so has a real small footprint on your hard drive. Unfortunately, the avi file came out way too large to post (about one meg after zipping it), but it is still a way to produce some eye-popping images on your own web site. I play around with the program some more, I may be able to figure out the file compression options in the program's save dialog, but still guess the final product will be too large for directly posting in a thread. The website has a couple other free image manipulation programs that may be of interest (a multiple-image morpher and an image-distortion program).
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Sounds like you've been experimetning with rendering models using special effects. I've been using Project Dogwaffle to create synthetic natural settings including sky effects. Dogwaffle, Photoshop and xiberpix could make some fairly convincing effects.

Best regards, Gil
  3. Darwin

Darwin Member

Gil, you nailed it. Create a realistic looking sky texture with Dogwaffle, use Photoshop (or whatever your favorite image processor happens to be) to splice the background texture into the model pic, then use the xiberpix program for inserting the water. Go one step beyond and make a screen saver using the animated clips....I know there is softwater out there for doing screensavers, and some of them either freeware or low-cost shareware. For the immediate purposes of this forum, I think a single frame can be rendered out directly with the xiberpix utility, but if not, one can use one of the movie manipulation programs for that....if nothing else, use a viewer to pause on the frame you want and use a screen grabber to capture the image. Would make a terrif final shot in a build string...and could be a good subject for a tutorial someday in the future.
  4. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

You might be able to use Snagit to screen capture the image you've created. Then it would probably be pretty simple to create a small file for posting. I know I'd love to see it.

5. Darwin

Darwin Member

You had to ask. I managed to capture using the screen capture import option in Paint Shop Pro. I did a very quick and dirty sky...would help greatly if I knew how to use layers. Someday will have to put aside the other good stuff and concentrate on learning the photo-manipulation stuff. Way to many interests, not nearly enough time. I can see some real value in this sofware for displaying the final build pictures.