Realistic local yard operations

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
I am still trying to design a local switching yard that will service six modern era industries that will need to handle roughly 30-35 cars and need a yard that would replicate what either currently exists or one that the railroads would really build.

What I am envisioning is building a yard that will allow a "turn" to set out cars in the yard that the "local" will then spot at the various industries, but at the same time want it to be prototypical rather than a freelance design.

Is there a on-line resource or a publication that has actual track plans for local yard design/operations that service the number of industries in the era I am looking for?

JD

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Jeff - not sure if this is what you are looking for or how much room you have http://www.naisp.net/mfischer/m_train2.htm. Go down to "layouts smaller than 2' x 4' "and look at the 7th down (Nscale 4' x 6") The sidings could be extended, the industries enlarged, and the "exchange" track (bottom right) replaced by a 3 or 4 track single ended yard. Inbound cars are left overnight in one track when you are off-shift. Outbound cars are left on another track, and removed overnight by the freight that did the drop-offs. You would need 2 or maybe 3 tracks for sorting. Hope it helps
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Jeff,

This is the plan for a set of 4 modules we have at our local modular club (www.hotrak.ca):

Castor River Modules

Overall it is 16 feet long, by 30" deep maximum. The two tracks nearest the front (bottom in the diagram) are the mainline. The rest is available for switching the local industries on the layout. We have run it both ways at different meets - one where the road engine does the switching, and one where we have a dedicated switcher that handles a drop, and sets out cars for pickup.

If you wanted (or it is more appropriate for your era) you could replace the intermodal yard with a small yard and team track.

Lots of fun to operate. The owner installed Tortoises with "route setting" that you can control from your throttle, and is in the midst of installing working signals too.

Andrew

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Basically I am literally stuck with 16 feet by 2 feet in HO scale.

Thanks for the intel and I will do some reviewing.

JD

shortliner said:
Jeff - not sure if this is what you are looking for or how much room you have http://www.naisp.net/mfischer/m_train2.htm. Go down to "layouts smaller than 2' x 4' "and look at the 7th down (Nscale 4' x 6") The sidings could be extended, the industries enlarged, and the "exchange" track (bottom right) replaced by a 3 or 4 track single ended yard. Inbound cars are left overnight in one track when you are off-shift. Outbound cars are left on another track, and removed overnight by the freight that did the drop-offs. You would need 2 or maybe 3 tracks for sorting. Hope it helps
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
2x16 should be quite workable. Paul's Castor River modules are only 30" deep; cutting 6" off should be do-able if you have (for example) only one main line, and cut down on the yard tracks by one as well.

Andrew