Realistic consist for a Deltic?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by sidneylopsides, Sep 4, 2005.

1. sidneylopsides

sidneylopsides New Member

I have won an N Gauge Deltic on ebay, but I'm not too sure what these would have pulled. I have 4 blue and white BR coaches which I think are suitable.
    Can anyone advise me on typical loads, did these do frieght runs?
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I don't think the Deltics pulled freight unless they were doing running in after shopping.
    They would likely have a consist of whatever was the modern rolling stock, although ther could be a smattering (or more) of earlier stock. What colour is the loco? For the blue and grey era, you could have a mix of mark I and II coaches, possibly III. Once a month you could run a blue and grey painted Gresley or Thompson buffet car or full brake.
    If you go for Maroon era, drop the Mark III and add a few more LNER diners, maybe a first, in extremis, an articulated restaurant car.
    I don't think anyone could fault you with a full train of Mark II or Mark I. Train length of 10-14 cars.
    (I'll check some old Railway magazines if you give me a typical year.)
  3. sidneylopsides

It's this paint scheme. I searched for some info, but only found out what the prototype prototype ( :p ) was tested with.
    I'm thinking the end of the life of the Deltics, late 70's to 82. Thanks :)
  4. ross31r

ross31r Member

Four coaches? behind a deltic - err NO!

The Deltic was front-line express passenger power on the East Coast Mail Line (ECML). A protoypical load would be 10-12 coaches. They were the flagships until what we call the IC225 came along when the ECML electrified.

In that scheme Mark 1s would be appropriate in the early maroon liveries.
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Sidney, with green, you really should have maroon coaches, or maroon and cream. Mark I will look the best.
  6. sidneylopsides

@ross31r: I had those four already, I wanted to check if I should buy more of those or not, and now I know the Maroon would be better :)

Thanks for the advice, I'll get onto this... :)