Realistic consist for a Deltic?

sidneylopsides

Jul 11, 2005
Leeds, UK
www.se-nse.com
I have won an N Gauge Deltic on ebay, but I'm not too sure what these would have pulled. I have 4 blue and white BR coaches which I think are suitable.
Can anyone advise me on typical loads, did these do frieght runs?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Sidney:
I don't think the Deltics pulled freight unless they were doing running in after shopping.
They would likely have a consist of whatever was the modern rolling stock, although ther could be a smattering (or more) of earlier stock. What colour is the loco? For the blue and grey era, you could have a mix of mark I and II coaches, possibly III. Once a month you could run a blue and grey painted Gresley or Thompson buffet car or full brake.
If you go for Maroon era, drop the Mark III and add a few more LNER diners, maybe a first, in extremis, an articulated restaurant car.
I don't think anyone could fault you with a full train of Mark II or Mark I. Train length of 10-14 cars.
(I'll check some old Railway magazines if you give me a typical year.)

sidneylopsides

Jul 11, 2005
Leeds, UK
www.se-nse.com
Class_55_Deltic.jpg

It's this paint scheme. I searched for some info, but only found out what the prototype prototype ( :p ) was tested with.
I'm thinking the end of the life of the Deltics, late 70's to 82. Thanks :)

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
Four coaches? behind a deltic - err NO!

The Deltic was front-line express passenger power on the East Coast Mail Line (ECML). A protoypical load would be 10-12 coaches. They were the flagships until what we call the IC225 came along when the ECML electrified.

In that scheme Mark 1s would be appropriate in the early maroon liveries.