REAL Model Railroader?

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
It's been brought to my attention some of us may not actually be "real" model railroaders. Shocking? Yes I think so.

I don't want to know if you think you're a real model railroader or not. I do want to know what it is you think constitutes a real model railroader and what one has to be or do to be allowed to think of themselves as such.

Also, if one isn't a "real" model railroader, then what are they?

CSXFan

Feb 25, 2002
ohio
Visit site
Well i think that is a matter perspective. Some, like myself, actually have layouts or build models and dioramas. Some of us do not have the funds, time, space, etc. to acually practice our hobby. It is my belief that if one loves the hobby then they are a "REAL" model railroader, whether they have a layout doesn't matter to me.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Back in the days of dinosours and steam engines guys who were sitting around reading, dreaming and planning their layouts were called "armchair model railroaders"

CSX "hit the nail of the head"....what difference does it make? Enjoyment is enjoyment and knowledge is knowledge and fun is fun and all are meant to be shared:)

Man! defining a "real model railroader" is like trying to define "the real Santa Claus"! :D :D :D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
How's this:

A real model railroader is a real live air breathing person, who likes trains and actually or plans to make, buy, use, design, dream about, read about or otherwise participate in the enjoyment of the hobby.

A fake model railroader is a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a real person who likes trains and actually or plans to make, buy, use, design or otherwise participate in the enjoyment of the hobby. This "person" would normally be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader.

A REALLY fake model railroader is a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a fake model railroader (a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a real person who likes trains and actually or plans to make, buy, use, design or otherwise participate in the enjoyment of the hobby.) This "person" would normally be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a fake model railroader who is posed to look like a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader. This fake model railroader would, of course, be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader.

A REALLY, REALLY fake model railroader is a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a REALLY fake model railroader [a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a fake model railroader (a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a real person who likes trains and actually or plans to make, buy, use, design or otherwise participate in the enjoyment of the hobby.) This "person" would normally be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a fake model railroader who is posed to look like a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader. This fake model railroader would, of course, be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader.] This "person" would normally be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a REALLY fake model railroader who is posed to look like a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader. This REALLY fake model railroader would, of course, be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, fake model railroader (A fake model railroader is a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a real person who likes trains and actually or plans to make, buy, use, design or otherwise participate in the enjoyment of the hobby. This "person" would normally be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader.)

A REALLY, REALLY, REALLY fake model railroader is a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a REALLY, REALLY fake model railroader a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a REALLY fake model railroader {a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a fake model railroader [a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a real person who likes trains and actually or plans to make, buy, use, design or otherwise participate in the enjoyment of the hobby.) This "person" would normally be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a fake model railroader who is posed to look like a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader. This fake model railroader would, of course, be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader.} This "person" would normally be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a REALLY fake model railroader who is posed to look like a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader. This REALLY fake model railroader would, of course, be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, fake model railroader (A fake model railroader is a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a real person who likes trains and actually or plans to make, buy, use, design or otherwise participate in the enjoyment of the hobby. This "person" would normally be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader.)
{a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a fake model railroader (a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a real person who likes trains and actually or plans to make, buy, use, design or otherwise participate in the enjoyment of the hobby.) This "person" would normally be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a fake model railroader who is posed to look like a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader. This fake model railroader would, of course, be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader.]This "person" would normally be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a REALLY, REALLY fake model railroader who is posed to look like a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader. This REALLY, REALLY fake model railroader would, of course, be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, fake model railroader (A fake model railroader is a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material who is posed to look like a real person who likes trains and actually or plans to make, buy, use, design or otherwise participate in the enjoyment of the hobby. This "person" would normally be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader.)

Bla bla bla bla. Bla bla bla bla. Bla bla bla bla. Bla bla bla bla.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by msh
It's been brought to my attention some of us may not actually be "real" model railroaders. Shocking? Yes I think so.

MSH....Who doeth speaketh ill of my breathern upon this board?

Forsooth!!!...Methinkest that the tyme arises that I shall have to journey upon The Board of Real Model Railroader and inflict upon such naysayers a strong drauth of bitter gall....again!:D :D :D :D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Geez Jon, you first post brought to mind images of Jack Nicholas in "The Shining"!: eek: "All work and no play makes Jon a dull boy..." etc! I worry that you may soon take an axe to the door while exclaiming "Heeeeeeere's Jonny!" Might I suggest a nice vacation? Preferably not in an empty hotel in the mountains in winter. :)
Regards and hopes for your recovery!
Ralph

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Originally posted by Ralph
Geez Jon, you first post brought to mind images of Jack Nicholas in "The Shining"!: eek: "All work and no play makes Jon a dull boy..." etc! I worry that you may soon take an axe to the door while exclaiming "Heeeeeeere's Jonny

Who sez I'm not? redrum redrum redrum Redrum Redrum Redrum RED-RUM RED-RUM RED-RUM :eek: :eek: :eek:

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
OK jon put the keyboard down How go get some sleep OK is there any meds you need to take first :D :D :D and as far as being a real modelrailroader if you are having fun thats all that maters right I don't even have a layout (but the vocies in my head are working on the track plan) but injoy looking at all of your layouts and some am stealing ideas from:eek: :D :p rich

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
When starting this thread, I think 'msh' was referring to the ongoing controversy / debate about whether those who do all their railroading on a computer-simulator program are actually "real" model railroaders or not. This is a touchy subject, and other forums have demonstrated that hard feelings can result from the "labeling" that results.
IMHO, computer simulating a model railroad isn't model railroading, but is a different branch of railroad interest altogether, with it's own set of challenges and accomplishments, and is probably very satisfying to the practitioners.
To me, it would be like an architect suggesting he "built" a HiRise on his computer, when he really designed it, 'tested' it under adverse conditions [simulated],and engineered changes to it.
It's great, but he didn't walk up on the high steel, or hoist the materials up on the cranes....so did he really "build" it?
Other comparisons come to mind...a cockpit simulator, no matter how refined, isn't the same as flying a plane....
...adding up a row of numbers in Excel isn't the same as learning arithmetic.....computer football isn't the same as getting actually hammered by a real linebacker.
No offense to the practitioners of simulated railroading out there, having fun and enjoying railroading in their own way, but it's pretty difficult for me to regard it as model railroading...to me it's model railroad simulation.
regards / Mike

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
OK, I feel much better now. The machine guns have stopped going off in my head, although I do hear an occasional chainsaw in the distance.

If we are discussing the realness of a modeler with a computer model vs. a modeler with a physical layout, then by our definitions we made yesterday and all the posters agreed upon, the computer modeler would be a real model railroad. The only difference is the layout. One is physical and one is virtual. So, to avoid confusion, those with virtual layouts should refer to themselves as virtual model railroaders. It's OK, virtuals, come out of the closet, we will love you just the same. Just admit you are virtual and we will treat you with respect, referring to you as Virtual Model Railroaders (VRMs). Oh, yes, when you go to a show, model railroaders meeting, open house, or other gathering traditionally populated by traditional model railroaders, you will be required to wear a scarlet "V".

Also, I would like to submit a change to the definition of a fake model railroader:

A fake model railroader is a "person" made of plastic, plaster, wood, or other non-living material, or even electronic imagery who is posed to look like a real person who likes trains and actually or plans to make, buy, use, design or otherwise participate in the enjoyment of the hobby. This "person" would normally be found "living" in a plastic structure posed on a layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, real model railroader, or found "living" in a simulated plastic structure posed on a virtual layout belonging to a demented, overdetailing, never finishing his layout, virtual model railroader.

redrum redrum redrum :D :D :D

I'm not saying there's anything right or wrong about being a VRM, I'm just saying that they are enjopying the hobby, in an electronic form. The choice to model physical, virtual, or, dare I say, swing both ways, is a moral decision for each modeler to make for his or her self. I just hope there are not so many hard feelings that one chooses to obstain from modeling. How consenting adults model behind closed closet doors is none of my business!

As far as backing away from the keyboard goes, NO WAY! I'm on a roll! I'm feeling great and the machine guns are starting up! :eek: I'll have you know, this forum likes me: each and everytime I post, it splashes a message up on my screen, thankng me for posting. :D :D :D

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
This strikes me as an extension of the "prototype vs. freelance" debates of my younger days. Those who freelanced were not true model railroaders in the opinion of some. I think that modeling something virtually is every bit as challenging as modeling something physically. Virtual modeling has the benefit of being easier to share over long distances.

The bottom line is that any puerile debate will weaken the hobby as a whole. We are all modelers. We are all rail fans. We are all in this together.