Real Life Rust Distribution

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by DrGeologist, Nov 25, 2007.

1. DrGeologist

DrGeologist Canadian Down Under

I saw this phenomenon on a building in Halifax, Nova Scotia and thought that showing it in this forum could help with adding a touch of realism to weathering rusted roofs.

As you can see from the photo the rust grades inwards towards the chimney where it is strongest. The rusty patches them selves are following what I am assuming are beams below the roof in a zigzag pattern. I’m guessing that this phenomenon is due to the warmth of the chimney accelerating oxidation. I’m also assuming that the zigzagging beams also conduct heat making the rusty pattern.

I guess the moral of the story is that man made, non random things, will rust in a non random way.

For your consideration:

2. Bones

Bones Member

It might also have to do with paticlulate matter coming out of the chimney. Cinders, ash, etc.

Ash, it itself, if generally acidic. That alone would help kick start the process by eating away at the paint.

Cinders, dirt, sand, leaves, etc... will also hold moisture on the surface. As we all know, moisture = rust/corrosion.

Oh, and the zig-zag, I would guess is due to condensation. If the beams are cooler than the air temperature at night... they're moisture magnets.
  3. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

hmm,that is strange,maybe the zig-zag is the beams impression in the metal letting things settle in the creases causing rust.other than that,pretty neat looking :thumb:.--josh
  4. nachoman

nachoman Guest

It could also be a dissimilar metals problem - with the beams and roofing made of different types of metal. Either way, it is a very interesting picture and an excellent modeling example.

5. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

those could also be spots where they anchored the roof to the trusses.and with the added affect like nachoman said of being to un like metals.--josh