ready to pour !

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by camelot, Apr 12, 2003.

1. camelot

camelot Member

I am nearly ready to pour the Envirotex to make the log pond on the Nn3 scale layout modeule i am working on with a few other guys.

the pond is around 10mm thick . i was thinking 2 pours of 5mm ?

also i want to tint the envirotex when pouring to give the pond a slimmy murkey colour ,how much does one add to the mix to colour , foquil paints alright for this?

past experiences greatly appreciated

2. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Ian, cannot advice about Envirotex, never used it, I use High gloss yacht varnish and paint the bottom of the log pond muddy to start with

3. camelot

camelot Member

Hi Paul ,

i have painted the bottom of the pond a green browny colour , but was told Envirotex was crystal clear when dry and i have seen somewhere somebody tinted the Envirotex , is yacht varnish clear the same?

how thick do you pour the yatch varnish?
    and how may coats?

4. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Ian, about 1/16" pour at a time, (Brush it on)
    has a kind of brownish colour when dried.
  5. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Hi Ian,

Like Paul mentioned don't get it to thick. Several thin coats is a whole lot better then one. If you get it to thick it will take a long time to dry. I have never used Envirotex either but if its clear like you mentioned it will look just like you prepared it when its poured. Good Luck" Ron ;)
  6. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

I dug out and dusted off part of an old n scale shelf layout I was working on whilst in high school. This one never got really finished, but the water did get poured. I used Enviro-Tex, and was quite happy with my very first water attempt. I put in the rocks and riverbed, glued them down really thoroughly and let it dry. Enviro-Tex must be fairly forgiving, as I suspect I poured a layer way thicker than recommended.

Here's an overall shot.

Attached Files:

7. Lighthorseman

As you can see, the Enviro-Tex really does find a way to leak out if at all possible. I was sure that I had built an acceptable "dam" to hold it in, and there was a bit of scrabbling to plug gaps before the floor got decorated!

In this shot, you can see how it dries to a mirror-like surface. Quite inappropriate for a small mountainy stream, but as it was my first try, I was loathe to get too fancy. If you have the patience, the Enviro-Tex can be manipulated with a flat ended screwdriver to create ridges, waves, etc. I've heard that it does require a fair bit of time, however, as the E-T has a tendency to flatten right back out.

Here's a top picture.

Attached Files:

8. Lighthorseman

Here's what I liked best about the E-T. The ability to have a REAL 3-D riverbed. Below my rock castings, I glued in some cat litter, trying to put the larger bits closer to the surface, smaller bits lower in the "water", and then a layer of darker dirt for the bottom.

I had planned to add some surface ripples, or even a little whitewater using gloss medium, but never got around to it.

I found the E-T very simple to use, and was happy with the results.

Attached Files:

9. camelot

camelot Member

WOW , thanks lighthorseman , that looks great , i was thinking about adding some reeds to the pond first but looking at what you did i know will add some small stones as well i think.

One question , you said your poured the Envirotex thicker that generally recomended , its look very thick from the first photo , how thick actually was it and how long did it take to cure?

10. Lighthorseman

11. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Not only is the water really wet looking, the streambed and rocks and ground covers are excellent as well!