ready to pour !

camelot

Jan 12, 2003
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
I am nearly ready to pour the Envirotex to make the log pond on the Nn3 scale layout modeule i am working on with a few other guys.

the pond is around 10mm thick . i was thinking 2 pours of 5mm ?

also i want to tint the envirotex when pouring to give the pond a slimmy murkey colour ,how much does one add to the mix to colour , foquil paints alright for this?

past experiences greatly appreciated

Cheers

Ian

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Ian, cannot advice about Envirotex, never used it, I use High gloss yacht varnish and paint the bottom of the log pond muddy to start with
dufox02.jpg

Shamus

camelot

Jan 12, 2003
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
Hi Paul ,

i have painted the bottom of the pond a green browny colour , but was told Envirotex was crystal clear when dry and i have seen somewhere somebody tinted the Envirotex , is yacht varnish clear the same?

how thick do you pour the yatch varnish?
and how may coats?

Cheers

Ian

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Ian, about 1/16" pour at a time, (Brush it on)
has a kind of brownish colour when dried.
shamus

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Ian,

Like Paul mentioned don't get it to thick. Several thin coats is a whole lot better then one. If you get it to thick it will take a long time to dry. I have never used Envirotex either but if its clear like you mentioned it will look just like you prepared it when its poured. Good Luck" Ron ;)

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Enviro-Tex...

Hello,Ian.

I dug out and dusted off part of an old n scale shelf layout I was working on whilst in high school. This one never got really finished, but the water did get poured. I used Enviro-Tex, and was quite happy with my very first water attempt. I put in the rocks and riverbed, glued them down really thoroughly and let it dry. Enviro-Tex must be fairly forgiving, as I suspect I poured a layer way thicker than recommended.

Here's an overall shot.

Attachments

• n shelf 1.jpg
    n shelf 1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 192

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
More...

As you can see, the Enviro-Tex really does find a way to leak out if at all possible. I was sure that I had built an acceptable "dam" to hold it in, and there was a bit of scrabbling to plug gaps before the floor got decorated!

In this shot, you can see how it dries to a mirror-like surface. Quite inappropriate for a small mountainy stream, but as it was my first try, I was loathe to get too fancy. If you have the patience, the Enviro-Tex can be manipulated with a flat ended screwdriver to create ridges, waves, etc. I've heard that it does require a fair bit of time, however, as the E-T has a tendency to flatten right back out.

Here's a top picture.

Attachments

• n shelf 4.jpg
    n shelf 4.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 191

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Here's what I liked best about the E-T. The ability to have a REAL 3-D riverbed. Below my rock castings, I glued in some cat litter, trying to put the larger bits closer to the surface, smaller bits lower in the "water", and then a layer of darker dirt for the bottom.

I had planned to add some surface ripples, or even a little whitewater using gloss medium, but never got around to it.

I found the E-T very simple to use, and was happy with the results.

Attachments

• n shelf 3.jpg
    n shelf 3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 184

camelot

Jan 12, 2003
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
WOW , thanks lighthorseman , that looks great , i was thinking about adding some reeds to the pond first but looking at what you did i know will add some small stones as well i think.

One question , you said your poured the Envirotex thicker that generally recomended , its look very thick from the first photo , how thick actually was it and how long did it take to cure?

Thanks

Ian:D