Ready to buy!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by GyverX, Jun 26, 2004.

1. GyverX

GyverX Member

The models I have are mostly free downloadable and there are only a hand full I would be willing to print and put together. But the models I am really interested in are not free or of the pr printed kind. So, I am ready to buy. The question is. Where to buy from?
    I live in the us and would like to buy in the US. The reason is because of the import costs and what not. The models I am interested in are the following. Basic Military Hummers, Medic Hummers, USS Enterprise Carrier, or any US Carrier, and a Cessna 337 skymaster or O2 military equivalent. If anyone has any resources to where to buy in the US I would greatly appreciate the info.
    Jason G.
  2. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I don't have any of the models you listed but take a look anyway, maybe you will find something in addition to your list :)

and yes, we are located in the US
  3. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Gyver, check out the Forum for Internet Vendors, there are several online shops recommended there and a couple here in the states.
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

And with the prices of most of these kits being so reasonable, I wouldn't think import duties would be very high anyway. Here in the UK, unless the parcel is worth £50 or more, the Post Office don't usually bother. And delivery is usually very quick, I just had a couple of kits from Spishop and they arrived in 3 days. Excellent service.

Tim P
  5. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

Just a question from the ignorant masses...
    For those whom order models and recieve
    them by postal mail:
    :?: Do the models usually arrive in a flat pack?
    :?: Do they arrive in good unbent condition?

Just asking , probably should make this a poll.

Here in the US, the Postal system is notorious
    for mangling packages, envelopes, you name
    it, it always arrives looking like somebody's dog
    made off with the post. :cry:

I am apprehensive about ordering kits for this very reason.
    Hoping to get more encouraging news.
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Usually no problem, all the shops I have bought from have used heavy corrugated carb boxes and none of my card models have been damaged. I did get a plastic U-Boat kit a few days ago that looked like it had been folded in half, but the kit pieces were fine. One of the advantages of buying models as CDs is that they are usually much safer in the post; they don't get left on the doorstep either, as they will fit through in letter box! The Post Office here in the UK is usually OK. Give it a try!

Tim P
  7. Gecko23

Gecko23 Member

How the models are packed obviously depends on who you buy them from. That being said, I've bought from all the usual US/Canadian sources and they all packed everything carefully. (Padded envelopes with heavy cardboard, padded in boxes with newspaper, you name it.)

I've ordered dozens of models by mail, mostly from the US and canada, but also several from japan, and hong kong all shipped via USPS, and have yet to receieve a single damaged one.
  8. bwallaw

bwallaw Member

Hi Guys-

I have only ordered a few models by mail from PMI which were received very quickly and in a cardboard shipping envelope. I have also purchased some models from colleagues throught these forums. They usually use a large paper envelope. Our local mail delivery person has to roll them sligtly to fit them into the mailbox, but this has not caused any severe damage (so far). Helps me get started on those ships masts! :D

It seems to me that a logical step for distributors of these kits would be to place a label on the package: "DO NOT FOLD" Perhaps if I bought more than a couple models at a time, I might graduate to a cardboard box. It also could be confusing instructions for a beginner. :wink:
  9. Bikerpete

Bikerpete Member

Mail-order kits

Can't comment about over-seas orders but the kits I purchased from PMI, Lighthouse, Saul, The Hobby Factory, etc. have all arrived in great shape.