Ready to build

plbab

Mar 21, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Finally ready to build, have trackplan in head and on paper. going to use both island for 5x9 and around the wall . Any ideas on bracing for the around the wall part of it? Are metal brackets ok to use layout will be 18 to 20 in. wide. Thanks

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
plbab, the around the wall 18- 20" I think is a little wide for shelf brackets. If it were me, although Ive been accused of building brick sh_ _ houses, I would make a box frame using 1x3 or 4s and anchor this to the wall. Then run brace legs, angled from the wall/floor corner, up to the front edge for support where needed. (A straight leg down will always be in your way foot wise and needs a more work bracing or anchoring.)
Cover the frame work with what ever material you will using on your layout. I would also recommend building the island and then adding the around the wall parts in sections as time and money permit. I don't care how carefully you plan on paper, there will always be that change you wished you could have made when building.

Bill P. :D :D

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I've built 24" deep shelves by installing a 2x4 on each wall stud, then another 2x4 which rests on top of the first one and extends into the room. The two 2x4s are joined with a gusset made from 3/4 ply. The gusset is a triangle with the two sides which form the right angle (terminology long since forgotten) at least 12' long.

Gary

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Hey Gary I thought I had the corner on brick out-houses, the 2 x 4s seem like an overkill on the layout he wants to build. You are right on the use of "gussets", they would provide a better means of supporting the shelf unit and would make a much neater appearance. :rolleyes:

Bill P. :D

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Bill, I suppose the 2x4 are overkill, but they are readily available at low cost. Upon rereading my first post, I see I typed 12' for length of gusset, hopefully obvious I meant 12". As far as overkill goes, I also used 3/4 ply for my subroadbed. I wouldn't have if I had had to buy it, but a large quantity was available for free. For free, even vinegar is sweet, as they say. Yes, I can, and have, knelt on my benchwork and am glad I built it as I did. I also space supports 24" when required with no problem, even in my rather humid basement.

Gary