Reading SD-45s

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by TomPM, Aug 10, 2005.

1. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

I have been doing some quick research on the Reading SD-45s. I have an opportunity to purchase one. I already have one Bachmann Spectrum SD-45 #7603. The second I can purchase for a price I can’t refuse is also 7603. There is an outside chance I could get 7602.

In looking at a couple of websites I only found roster numbers from 7600 to 7605. Did Reading only have six units? Also did they MU them together or with other locomotives?
  2. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

According to...

EMD SD45 3600 hp 7600-7604 5 units, dual controls

I looked at the Reading Company Technical and Historical Society site and their photo roster shows 7600 thru 7604.

A look at Elwood's site shows SD-45s usually behind a lesser powered loco. I want to believe I read somewhere that by having lower horsepower rated locos a RR could pay engineers less money (i.e. pay a loco driver for running a GP-30 instead of the SD-45 even tho a '45 could be in a consist). Now, I may have just shown what little I know on this subject but- there it is. Any enlightenment while on the subject would be greatly welcome as I too am a RDG modeler and fan.

Mark (Insert "foot in mouth" icon here!!!)
  3. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

It looks like we maybe the only Reading modelers in these here parts! :eek: :confused:

I posted the question on the Anthracite Railroads Yahoo Group. I’ll let you know if I hear anything. :)
  4. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

OK Tom

Reading's the railroad for me~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nice tune if you sing it!

Mark :thumb: