Readback configuration variables?

Fusion

What does this exactly mean? I read on another forum that the Digitrax Empire Builder does not have readback configuration variables from the decoder but the Zephyr does. Is this an important feature of DCC?

Thanks.

Gary Pfeil

Important? I like it. It's not essential. Sometimes you would like to know what value is programmed in a particular cv. For instance, you may program a value in a steam soundtrax decoder to program certain background sounds. If you've done this, you know there is a page in the soundtrax manual instrucing you to add certain values for each sound and so on. Rather than calculate it again for your next install, you can read it back from the first loco (or keep a record of it somewhere I suppose) Or, if you make an error programming and the loco no longer responds as it ought to, reading back cvs can help. Being able to read back is great. The Empire Builder doesn't allow it. Of course, you could just reprogram whatever value is correct in any cv without reading back first. It is probably just a comfort thing for me.

Woodie

Tell me about it, with readback.

Specially if you've set Start/mid/max Voltage, Acceleration/Deceleration, or Kick Freq, & Kick Depth etc, and you may wanna speed up the acceleration, and you forgot what you put in there. :curse: