Re-Writing Railroad History

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by N Gauger, Jan 13, 2006.

1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

That is a great article Mikey. Sure explains alot.
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Well, it not as much "rewriting history" as it is "getting history correct"...announce1 announce1 announce1 announce1
  4. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

According to a program on the History Channel, it wasn't the Donner family themselves, that were the cannibals, but some members of the party.
    Its even reported that one of them opened a resturant in San Fransisco.(Where's the spell check?)
  5. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Uh, I don't want to ask the obvious, but I wonder what the "special of the day" was?sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1

And fear not, two of the words I may never spell correctly without a spell checker are, "restaurant" and "Wendsday". :oops: :oops: Sometimes I spell them so badly that even a spell checker doesn't know what I'm talking about. :D :D :D :D
  6. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

the area where the Donner party spent the winter had been inhabited before and after them but if we want to talk cannibalism lets talk about Alferd Packer there isn't any doubt about him.:)
  7. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

:confused: Alfred Packer? who's he? (dare I ask) :confused:
  8. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Oh, wikipedia solved that mystery...eww! :p :p
  9. jetrock

jetrock Member

Not sure how this is railroad history...the Donner Party went through well before the railroad.
  10. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

The Donner party went over the pass (or tried to) in the winter of 1846/47 and was stuck in the snow, while the Central Pacific RR line built was built in the mid-1860s.

However history repeats itself: At January 13th 1952 the 'City of San Francisco' train of the UP was stuck in the snow, too. Fortunately the train was dug out after 3 days - and nobody was killed, this time.

11. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Yeah - it was just the connection with Donner Pass - You're right though....

Just some interesting info to share..............................