Re Logging Forum

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by shamus, Oct 16, 2002.

1. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Well I asked the powers that be, and was informed there are a couple of new forums to look at and the Logging Forum is postponed for techincal reasons until the new year.

2. Thanks for trying, Shamus. But it give us something to look forward to :)
  3. Steam Donkey

Steam Donkey Member

Hi Shamus,

OK, I'll bite.........logging forum? What logging forum? As a fellow crazed logging nut, this sounds almost to good to be true, I just Loooove old time logging!

If there is a forum out there that can help me make a layout that comes even close to looking like yours, I'll be there with bells on! Please spill the beans!!!! I NEED TO KNOW!!!! Arrrrgghhhh!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Phew...I'll be alright....logging just gets me so...who said it?....moist?:D :D
  4. Steam Donkey

Steam Donkey Member

Sorry Shamus, :rolleyes:

Didn't see the "Re" in front of this thread. Serves me right for not paying more attention to what is going on in The Gauge.

Best of luck with the Logging Forum, I look forward to it. From the sounds of do a lot of others!

5. NYCentral

NYCentral Member

Yes thank you Shamus!! I also will be looking forward to the possibility!!
  6. ANo10

ANo10 New Member

Thanks for trying, Shamus.

Will be waiting on pins and needles (pine) until the new year.

7. moss-lake

moss-lake Member

I'll be looking forward to it as well!!:D ;)
  8. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Yeah guys, so will I, by the way, has anyone seen a photo of the new Bachmann H0 climax to be brought out later?.:rolleyes:
  9. Graham Hoffman

Graham Hoffman New Member

All they had at the MRIA show was a prototype photo, and their rep didn't know squat about it.
  10. ANo10

ANo10 New Member

I haven't seen the new Bachmann HO Climax, but it's good to hear that they're expanding their logging locos. I received a catalog from Model Expo, that announced a 2T Shay in ON30 due for release in December this year. Have one preordered. Will give a report when it comes in.

11. Steam Donkey

Steam Donkey Member

My favorite model railroad store up here in the Great White North (Canada) claims not to know anything about the new Bachmann Climax. (sure hope they make one, their Shay is to die for!) They did point out the newly updated line of Rivarossi (sp?) logging stuff, including a Climax......their poster looks great! You can also find photos of Rivarossi's new stuff at the beginning of the 2003 Walthers catalogue.

BTW...why doesn't Rivarossi fall under alphabetical order just like everybody else in the Walthers catalogue?
  12. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

I also like the logging theme of a railroad.
    But I have a question.
    Logging in modern times, let's say the eighties, how do they transport the trees to the sawmill ?
    Still with the railroad or with trucks ?
    As beeing an Europian I realy don't know how it is been done in the US or Canada these days.
    Hope I will not have to wait until Newyearsday for an answer.

13. Shay Driver

Shay Driver Member

Hi Shamus,

It's nice to have something to look forward to.:D :D
  14. Wolv33

Wolv33 Member

Bout time I seen your shay end around here!

How are ya? Where the heck are you posting besides here??

Anyhow, why not come over to the RR-Line threads and say HI.

Several of us want ya to open up the breakroom. We's a hungry bunch in the morn'.

Later sirs.

15. moss-lake

moss-lake Member

Paul, if you want a modern log train, the Walthers log cars will be the best way to go. If you can't find any, the log bunks from Details West, mounted on an Athearn 40 or 50 foot flat are a close second. Put an early geep or sw1200 up frount. While truck logging is the most common, many common carriers haul logs. There's only 1 logging railroad in the US today, Simpson Timber at Shelton, Washington. You might also look at the St. Marys River Railroad in Idaho.
  16. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

Thanks Russ,

I' see if I can find something about these logging compagnies on the web.

17. moss-lake

moss-lake Member

These log cars operated on the Chaelis Western, a Weyerhauser subsiduary out of Vail, Washington on the old Milwaukee road into Tacoma. They should give you some ideas for modern log cars.

Attached Files:

18. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

Nice picture Russ.

Guess I need to order flatcars and a few styrene I-beams to glue un the flatcars as cross bars to put the logs on.
    In N-scale I think that is the best option.

Thanks again,

19. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

It's next yeeeeeeaaaaaaar :D :D :D

Are we still on hold? We are all drooling and moist with anticipation!
  20. Steam Donkey

Steam Donkey Member

I second Jon's remark!

Everybody now........"Oh, I'm a lumber jack and I'm OK.........":D